The Apple WWDC 2015 Rundown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
You know what apple should do... Is get its butt into making Apple Colleges worldwide that way they will have limitless imagination from budding applytes. But you know they wont do it, cause they are all about hoarding money and not giving it back.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
- Shit that's been on other platforms for years that we'll claim is new and exciting and that we invented. That about sums it all up, as usual.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
When I can install OSX on my home PC that I didn't have to purchase from a retail manufacturer I'll be a very happy man, or rather I'd at least like to see more universal driver support if anything. The addition of Metal I find particularly interesting-- mostly that this article names Adobe and Autodesk products. I also like that Apple seems to be making some effort to accompany users with larger resolutions by adding GUI support.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
When I can install OSX on my home PC that I didn't have to purchase from a retail manufacturer I'll be a very happy man, or rather I'd at least like to see more universal driver support if anything. The addition of Metal I find particularly interesting-- mostly that this article names Adobe and Autodesk products. I also like that Apple seems to be making some effort to accompany users with larger resolutions by adding GUI support.
Apple is a hardware company. Why would they allow you to install their add-on software (OSX) on anything and bypass their hardware?

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Great to see them working on performance again - I liked Yosemite even though it's a bit of a laggard. I'm impatiently waiting for the redesigned 15" MacBook Pro with a 7th generation Intel Core Processor, DDR4 ram, Force Touch Track-pad, and USB-C with Thunderbolt 3. All of that tech is coming this fall, and you all know damn well that Apple will be the first put a solid product on the market.

I'm betting heavily the next MacBook Pro will shed significant weight and thickness to create the most portable - quad-core - laptop the world has ever seen. And, to top it all off, there will be a Space Grey version to match my iPhone. It will be glorious.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Apple is a hardware company. Why would they allow you to install their add-on software (OSX) on anything and bypass their hardware?

Well Apple is more a mobile company in that respect. Their hardware doesn't power their PCs, their powerful OS and cumbersome form factor does. After all, they use the same parts I do, just a different PCB. Why should they? Because it would create a larger network for developers and simultaneously cripple their competition. The only reason GNU/*Nix is alive today is because of user-based input and development.

As an educated consumer I'm not going to rely on Apple to mass-produce my PC, repair it if it breaks, and sell the part to me. I can build my own AIO, I can build it with the same or better specifications for a lower price. The ONLY thing that appeals to me is OSX.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
I know that this has been implemented with Android devices for years now and it's only making its way to Apple. But it's new for a lot of people becuase they've not use a different device in their life. Take the Apple Pay and the Google Wallet for example. No one gave a crap about this until Apple Pay came out with their own.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
. Their hardware doesn't power their PCs, their powerful OS and cumbersome form factor does. After all, they use the same parts I do, just a different PCB. Why should they? Because it would create a larger network for developers and simultaneously cripple their competition

They tried it once before. You're aware of the clone manufacturers, before Jobs came back? All it did was cannibalize their market. I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing that again.

Blueberries,
I don't think you're getting the way Apple works. Their hardware and software are designed to work TOGETHER. There are many advantages to doing this because they can optimize for their own environment which is too in depth to discuss here.

If you could put OSX on a computer you built out of whatever parts you chose many of these advantages are lost. Also, the main reason it doesn't even work is because almost every component would have to have its own OSX driver and who's going to create that?

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

That's precisely the point, the reason manufacturers don't have drivers for OSX is because Apple doesn't use it. Besides, you can't tell me it's unrealistic, it's not.

I'm not claiming it's a smart business decision for them either, and I understand that they don't want OSX packaged with a model that doesn't meet their standards, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be unhappy about it. After all, it's a great operating system.

Ummm... you say it's NOT unrealistic but then say you understand it's not a smart business model for Apple to do it that way so I'm not really sure what your point is.

I guess we both agree Apple makes a good OS. I almost bought a Mac Mini years ago and the main reason I didn't was mainly because I wanted to game; the consoles weren't good enough so I sighed and said I'll just built a gaming PC that suits all my compute needs.

Had Apple created a computer with a reasonably good graphics card (that was upgradeable), for a small price premium over PC as well as supported PC gaming I'd definitely have gone with Apple. I still wish they'd make more of an effort at that. Maybe a couple modern NVidia and AMD cards for a reasonable price?

At least there's BootCamp (OSX + Win10) and soon the option to boot SteamOS, and some game support on OSX.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I guess my point when I said "unrealistic" is that it wouldn't take long for developers to create drivers for their devices if Apple was more open to it. They already make several drivers for Windows / *Nix users. Video games aren't an issue for me and most software today is supported by OSX or has an equivalent, it's finding drivers and firmware for OSX and not having security and customization I have with a PC. I can change parts in my PC at any time without worry, I can choose to spend $500 on an upgrade rather than $2500 on a new PC, and I could install the upgrade myself without having to pay fees or worry about who's doing the installation. If I buy an Apple computer, someday I have to sell it on Ebay or junk it, and I'm at the whim of the manufacturer as to what my computer is optimized for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS