[SOLVED] The area around VRM started smoking

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
So I have a mining rig with 6x rx 580 xfx. All of them are connected with pcie risers to the motherboard.
I wanted to disconnect 1 gpu and clean it up, but I left the pcie riser connected to the motherboard.
Next time I turned on the rig, the area around mosfets started smoking... what should I do?

Solution
The motherboard sends some power to each PCI slot, I believe it to be ~75W, which is why some low power GPU don't take supplemental power.

The only thing that comes immediately to mind is the riser cable touching something causing a short/ground and causing an overcurrent situation which damaged power delivery on the motherboard aka VRM.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not turn the mining rig on again.

Faulty riser, short circuit somewhere, overload.....?

Did the smoking start after you cleaned and reinstalled the GPU or did the smoking start without the GPU plugged in?

Were you running just 5 GPUs instead of all 6?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s) information: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Take a couple of photographs and post here according via imgur (www.imgur.com)

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Do not turn the mining rig on again.

Faulty riser, short circuit somewhere, overload.....?

Did the smoking start after you cleaned and reinstalled the GPU or did the smoking start without the GPU plugged in?

Were you running just 5 GPUs instead of all 6?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s) information: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Take a couple of photographs and post here according via imgur (www.imgur.com)
The smoking started after I tried to turn on the rig with 4 gpus, WITHOUT the gpu I was cleaning.
When the smoking started, only 4 gpus were connected and 1 pcie riser that was just not disconnected from the motheboard.
I bought this system used but I do not know for how long it has been working...
My specs are:
PSU: cooler master G750M (I am using 2 psus to power my rig)
GPUS: 5x rx 580 xfx 8gb
Motherboard: TB250-BTC BIOSTAR
CPU: Intel Celeron G3930
RAM:1x 8gb
SSD: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 120GB(I have HiveOS installed on it)
I do not have any photos of a rig because I sent it to a repair shop.(I just want to know what did I do wrong...)

(I just want to know what did I do wrong...)
From what you've said...I don't see you did anything wrong.
I wouldn't expect a MB to smoke because a GPU was removed from a riser and the riser was left in place.
There's also a chance it was just a failure waiting to happen.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The motherboard sends some power to each PCI slot, I believe it to be ~75W, which is why some low power GPU don't take supplemental power.

The only thing that comes immediately to mind is the riser cable touching something causing a short/ground and causing an overcurrent situation which damaged power delivery on the motherboard aka VRM.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I bought this system used but I do not know for how long it has been working... "

In agreement with @jay32267: you may have done absolutely nothing wrong. Mining is tough on a build and there is no way to really know what all has happened to that system.

Do you know the seller?

Could be the system was sold with the oldest GPU's from other mining rigs....

A failure "waiting to happen" indeed.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Ok guys, someone helped me and I figured it out. My motherboard was pretty dusty and something on it caused a short-circuit. I cleaned the motherboard and everything is ok now. Thanks for all the replies!