The Asus UX30 Notebook is Under 1'' Thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]superprelude[/nom]Can companies stop shipping Norton products to make few more bucks?It's ignoring.[/citation]
I uninstalled after first boot.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Or for 400 more I could get a much-more-powerful gaming laptop with an i7, yeah?

I know there's a market for the super-slim thing, but it doesn't seem worth the money, yet.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]Or for 400 more I could get a much-more-powerful gaming laptop with an i7, yeah?I know there's a market for the super-slim thing, but it doesn't seem worth the money, yet.[/citation]
Yes, but for the price of the i7 laptop, you could have an i7 desktop, a worthwhile netbook, and money left over.

It's about the person's needs and budget.

Personally, I have a desktop that I built for

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]Or for 400 more I could get a much-more-powerful gaming laptop with an i7, yeah?I know there's a market for the super-slim thing, but it doesn't seem worth the money, yet.[/citation]
Yes, but for the price of the i7 laptop, you could have an i7 desktop, a worthwhile netbook, and money left over.

It's about the person's needs and budget.

Personally, I have a desktop that I built for my main machine, which can handle the more strenuous tasks.

I also have an MSi U210 that I use to take notes (real-time LaTeX is fun) and, while at home, for playing movies on my HDTV (it has HDMI and I save all my movies as .iso to an external HDD (AFAIK, this is the legal route to backups (nested parens!))).

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
@Skine

Okay, you could still find a much more powerful laptop for the same price. I'm not sure why people get all googly-eyed for slightly thinner tech. Lighter, I get, but thinner? Self-concious twenty-somethings and rich kids. The same people that buy macs, basically.

And don't let anyone fool you, copyright law specifically states you can back up your own media in any way you see fit as long as it doesn't get into someone else's hands. The originators of copyright law all the way back to Thomas Jefferson would even like to inform you that copyright law was specifically NOT designed to protect money, but to prevent plagiarism. It's been twisted and perversed, but that's another conversation altogether.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
@Ramar: Just because it's not what you want in a laptop doesn't mean that someone else won't want it.

Just read the thread about a 12" netbook a few days back, and think about someone (like me) who doesn't mind the minimal functionality and yet still appreciating the nearly full-sized keyboard and larger screen.

As for the second part, it's a question of conflicting with the MPAA, as well as if it makes it easier to circumvent encryption.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
@Skine: I understand that; that's what I meant by "there's a market" for it. Hell, I agree with you on the 12" netbook for several reasons, and I "get" most things that sell, just not this concept. Power, battery, weight, visibility, and usage are what I and sane people pay for in a laptop, comprimising based on need and money. But thin? What is the advantage to a thin laptop? What's 1.5 inches on a normal laptop to .7"? Yes it's half as thick but the damn thing is already small enough that I don't understand the price premium people are willing to pay for this concept.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Dispite the fact that it looks much like an Apple (only so many ways you can mix aluminum and black plastic anyway), I'm VERY glad to finally have another aluminum laptop on the market other than Apple's. I wish they would have included a Core 2 Duo instead of a Intel core duo, but regardless, it's a start.

Apple finally has reason to worry. I guess Asus is beginning to live up to their claim.

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
i think he ment 1366 x 768, right? because 468 would not give you very good desktop space at all there would be allot of scrolling.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I fail to see how thickness matters because a 17" laptop that was .005 inches thick would still defeat the purpose of portability...but oh well what ever floats their boat.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]xyzionz[/nom]1366X468?[/citation]

They are following the "wider is better" trend.

....either that or tom's article writers switch to the number pad even when typing just a few numbers. I must admit that Tom's articles are often quite full of typos; I am not impressed.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
ugh...i hate chiclet keyboards!! Over-all not that impressive of a computer. Asus needs top put out a model that really is top-of-the-line if they haven't already. All the greatest features, great looks, and a justifiable price tag would be nice!

rean24

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]I uninstalled after first boot.[/citation]

Same here....The blotware this days in Laptops are really anoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.