The bare minimum to play VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Hi guys, i'd like to know the cheapest PC parts to play VR games.

I've heard that the absolute minimum is a Skylake i5 (or any 4 cores CPU) and a GTX 1060, but i'm pretty confident that you can play VR with lower end stuff.

I'd even like to know if the amount of RAM matters in VR games (cause i know in regular games it matters only a bit).

I even heard that for VR gaming you'll need a more powerful PSU ..... (I'm quite sure that the PSU doens't change much)

And finally I am pretty undecided on which VR set to buy (Oculus-Rift or Samsung)

THANKSSS :):):)

Solution
Rift...
Robo Recall... everything else is just stupid.
Seriously, I've paid $40 for other VR games that couldn't come close.

You can thank me later.

My computer specs in the lower right corner are slightly above minimum but that requirement has been lowered due to various VR enhancements. I don't know the new minimum but you'll notice that many VR games will require the original minimum system specs to run.

PowerSupply - Needs to be able to power a serious video card. (Other than that no real changes for power supplies over time.) If you happen to have a 600W power supply laying around then why not use it.

CPU - I wouldn't get less than a Core i5 6500
RAM - I wouldn't get less than 8GB
GPU - I wouldn't get less than a GTX 970

I...
Rift...
Robo Recall... everything else is just stupid.
Seriously, I've paid $40 for other VR games that couldn't come close.

You can thank me later.

My computer specs in the lower right corner are slightly above minimum but that requirement has been lowered due to various VR enhancements. I don't know the new minimum but you'll notice that many VR games will require the original minimum system specs to run.

PowerSupply - Needs to be able to power a serious video card. (Other than that no real changes for power supplies over time.) If you happen to have a 600W power supply laying around then why not use it.

CPU - I wouldn't get less than a Core i5 6500
RAM - I wouldn't get less than 8GB
GPU - I wouldn't get less than a GTX 970

I saved a lot by buying my video card from a guy on Craigslist. Lowest CPU prices are available at MicroCenter (in-store only). Often they will give you a discount if you buy the CPU and motherboard together. Personally I found an open-box motherboard and combined it with the instore price of the 6600K and it was surprisingly affordable for what I got.

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
depending on what vr kit you are planning to purchase, the minimum system requirements iirc is a amd fx8350 or a i5 and a rx480 or a gtx 1060

also 8 gbs of ram are ideal

samsung, well, not much popular, more people talk good things about htc

older hardware will work too, but the framerate will be lower and the experience will not be enjoyable

The bare minimum is an FX-4350, a GTX 1050 Ti, and 8GB of RAM. The power supply doesn't need to be anything special, just sufficient for the CPU and GPU you get.

This bare minimum only applies with an Oculus Rift, because of its more advanced software features compared to the Vive/SteamVR platform.

Right now, the Rift and Touch cost $200 less than the HTC Vive, but the Rift is overall at least on par and arguably better than the Vive. The Rift is definitely the best deal right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.