The Beginning of the End for Windows 7 RC Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
For those of you wanting to upgrade to Win7 ultimate from RC-1, know that it is possible to do an Upgrade install (which keeps everything how it is right now)instead of doing a clean install. M$ reps will swear its not possible, but it is.
It requires changing a single file on the windows install diskas well as copying the contents of the windows disk to a folder on your hard drive. It is located in the sources folder, file is called: cversion.ini. You need to change the minclient value to 7000.00 and then save the file. The hit setup and enjoy.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
My ~4 year old PC was running Win7RC, and I will agree it is "the best Windows yet"! Still, I rarely even used it, and I had to to tech support almost every time my wife turned it on.

I was actually happy for this deadline to come - I finally convinced my wife to let me replace it with a new Mac Mini!

G

I am still using the RC! I have been seeing the Windows activation wizard pop up telling me to back up. At the time of the writhing, the wizard tells me I have 4 hours before the expiration. I will be going back to vista, but still not sure when.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Linux and Mac users agree that what Microsoft needs to do is get rid of this annoying amateur DRM timeout garbage and just require a dongle.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Had it on 3 machines, BootCamp MacMini, Soltek Kt800Pro, and some Low end Compaq Celeron. Worked so good wanted to keep it until the last possible moment (don't think I could handle the bi-hourly shutdowns though). Don't have the $$ for Legit 7 until tax return comes in so I had to go back to XP in the interim. Did backup and reinstalls yesterday. But am highly impressed with 7.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I hate to be the critic, but you said bi-hourly and once ever 2 hours about the same thing, which is it?

Anyway, I never really used the RC much, I liked it but didn't want to rely on it. Switched to Win7 Home Prem. a couple weeks before Christmas and have loved it so far, it's got a few quirks like all of Windows...but it's served me well so far :)

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Got a Technet sub a couple of weeks back to upgrade my RC machines. Enjoying Win 7 Ultimate x64 now and happy I won't need to mess with my install again for a while.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
while win7 is shiny i don't use it enough to bother to pay for it.
will just have to go back to xp for the 2x a month i need native winblows
and since i have no support for Vt there is no point in win 7 vm

ubuntu for me:)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I like using Win7 RC as an option when I boot up to repair problems with my legit copy that's on an SSD. I hope it doesn't become completely disabled over time as it's still useful as a repair tool for me.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Lawl, if you are still using the RC you are waaaay behind the times and likely missed out on free Windows 7 or $30 copies from colleges.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Im running it and currently updating it to a RTM version, just had to change a value for the install to accept my hack.

Copy the install DVD, open the CVERSION.INI and change the required version to 7100 and you are done. Update from the HDD.

[citation][nom]NeoDude007[/nom]Lawl, if you are still using the RC you are waaaay behind the times and likely missed out on free Windows 7 or $30 copies from colleges.[/citation]

lol @ you

eddyy714

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hmmm, I have Windows 7RC on both my desktop and laptop. I've kept my desktop on and it has been running for 2 hours 40 minutes with no popups or shutdowns.

I just turned on my laptop to see if it too will stay on without popups or shutdowns, and so far I have not seen any. The last time I saw the popup was yesterday, when I had 20-something hours to go, but I haven't seen it since.

Maybe Microsoft decided not to do that? Has it actually happened to anyone yet?

G

I just upgraded my RC to RTM - in place - using the cversion.ini hack.

Half a dozen reboots later it's working fine. Only problem is you have to install a full "ultimate" version, as that's what the RC was.

Status
Not open for further replies.