The Best Gaming Graphics cards for the Money: April 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katreat

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I would personally like to see the higher end video card rankings include not just SLI options. First, if you are upgrading an existing single card system an SLI option is not an option. Second, if you are building new or dont have an SLI MB then that best for $300 option is more like best for $400 because in most cases you will pay $100 more to just set up SLI. It requires a bigger PSU than a single card system would need and most newer SLI MBs, like the 780i series, are more expensive than the single card alternative, like a P35. IMO going to SLI is not the best option for many people. Nothing wrong with including it in the review for those with a SLI capable MB but it should not replace what is the best card in that price range.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
^Agreed,
I can't SLI on my Mobo and don't plan to get a SLI mobo any time soon. IMO single card solutions are always better as some games don't support SLI and sometimes the improvement over the single card is only a few FPS.

Katreat

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Your final table is really messed up. you have ATI and Nvida cards mixed up. Also you are missing relatively new cards like the 8800 GTS 320 which is a great buy used right now as people upgrade.

Also, in reference to my earlier post, could you treat SLI like you do AGP with a seperate list? Recomending SLI to people who dont already have an SLI MB is not helpful at all.

r1948

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
A submission for the under $100 card: Powercolor AX3650 1gb ddr2 128 bit $64.99 after $20 rebate. Only $130 for 2 gb in crossfire.

G

This chart is for gaming cards. I would like to see same charts but then for video-editing users, dtp-users, allround-users.

G

Hrmmmm.... SLI and Vista still not working correctly? Ive heard from all my gamer buddies this is true, and I just switched (I love vista, i hated till i tried it). Anyways Im on a 512 Geforce 8800GT loving graphics and was thinking about buying another 8800GT for the SLI...but apparently SLI doesnt work with Vista (something about Nvidia drivers and Vista)... Is this true or is that Mac antivista propaganda?

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
that's old news nows , before the amazing HD 4000 series come out .
i have HD 4650 (bought it for 72$ now in newwegg cost 40$ )
and it's beat GF9500GT in everything .

Status
Not open for further replies.