The Best Gaming Graphics cards for the Money: November 2007

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cleeve

Illustrious

Yuck! The 2900 GT offers the performance of an 8600 GTS for $200 american?...

The 2900 GT most certainly does NOT have a place on the 'best cards for the money' list...

cleeve

Illustrious

Heheh. Well, I have both cards, but I don't actually use them at the same time... I'm always switching them out though. :)

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
well with what i got i ran 3d mark06 and got these result's.

10731 3d mark's..stock

10856 3d mark's..704mhz clock,995mhz memory

10954 3d marks...704mhz clock,995mhz memory,3033mhz cpu clock

11073 3d marks...704mhz core clock ,995mhz memory, clock...3078mhz cpu clock

If i had better cooling it would go alot higher. I got over 300 extra mark's just upping the cpu to 3078mhz.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
In reply to no one, I just have to add my few pennies:

1.) At this stage Nvidia seems to be the better price to performance supplier of graphics cards - their depth in the whole spectrum of graphics card levels are extremely strong going into the last two months of this year.
2.) AMD/ATi have some hard work ahead of them - and quite frankly I wouldn't sit around and wait for a card that will only serve to shrink the gap and in some cases beat NV marginally. Just to elaborate here: I exercised favouritism for ATi for many years, but it's price and performance or the combination thereof that lead the industry. Even if the ill named 38000 can come up with something it's way too late.
3.) When we look at what these cards were designed for, I'm also waiting for ALOT more DX10 titles that serve to expose the DX10 architecure on differing levels of programming in terms of utilization and efficiency.

As of now, I'd be hard pressed to upgrade to anything on the gcard front - and will gladly sit this year out with my sanity and wallet in tact - DX10 has proven to be an improvement over DX9 but it can be omitted to a degree still as DX9 still has alot going for it and time will allow DX10 to be really pushed to it's designed intent.

If I HAD to upgrade, the 8800GT hands down would be my choice.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
"Heheh. Well, I have both cards, but I don't actually use them at the same time... I'm always switching them out though"

Now this is the way to be unbiased and you have to admire the effort for swapping out the cards... ;) How do you handle the driver issue?

randomizer

Champion

What about you make a 'best cards for recycling' list?

Narg

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
In my opinion, I wouldn't buy nVidia right now. Not that their cards are bad, but their drivers in Vista, especially 64-bit Vista are just plain BAD! I've got 2 ATI systems, and 3 nVidia. All running 64-bit Vista. The video anomolies on all 3 nVidia systems are about to drive me nuts. I'll take a 2% performance drop to get better drivers any day, so I'd only recommend ATI right now. Maybe their slowness is good after all?

I'm waiting for the new ATi card not so much to see whether it will be better or faster, but in the hopes that its presence will cause a price drop. I've had good luck with nVidia over the past few years, but if the 3800 series is faster and cheaper, and uses same or less wattage, then that's what I'll buy.

cleeve

Illustrious

I haven't had any. I just uninstall the current driver before swapping and instal the newest Catalyst or Forceware after install and reboot.

It's what I've always done, and I've never experienced any of the woes I used to hear about.

First, one too many zeros there.
Second, how is the HD3850 any more/less ill-named than a GT that suplants a GTS, and a relaunch of a GTS that beats a GTX and is different in specs than an old GTS?

For whatever reasons you can come up with for not liking the HD3800 name change, the same can be said for not changing the naming of the G9x series cards.

DX10 has proven to be an improvement over DX9 but it can be omitted to a degree still as DX9 still has alot going for it and time will allow DX10 to be really pushed to it's designed intent

But that's really irrelevant, the Gf8 and HS2K are great DX9 cards too, so it's not like they dropped DX9 performance to ad DX10. Everyone keeps talking about DX10, and while the games with those features clobber the current cards, it's still just an additional feature, like having extra AA, you can chose to use it or not.

If I HAD to upgrade, the 8800GT hands down would be my choice.

right now that makes sense, but who knows what else comes out, either a new GTS or a reply from AMD. For now though the GT is the easy favourite for most people in this category.

Yeah, the sad thing is they both have issues with Vista.
I think that for now Id recommend against Vista more than picking between the IHVs. Unless there is an obsolute reason someone needs vista, XP has proven a little less hassle. Of course it you need/want it for whatever reason, then it's good to research the options, because from what I've seen and from personal experience ATi has it's problems too just like nV.

nstarz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
In the article it says "The 2600 XT is relatively new to the AGP scene, but almost as cheap as its PCIe cousin. This is the fastest DirectX 10 card available for AGP at this time, and surprisingly offers a great deal of performance at the $110 price point"

Where do I go to find a 2600 XT AGP for about $110?

I searched and even ebay's price was $130-150s. Has the price gone up that much the last few months?

TRENDING THREADS