The best gaming mouse?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which is the best mouse, particularly for gaming?

• Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Votes: 101 50.8%
  • Logitech G7 Cordless Laser Mouse

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • Razer Copperhead 2000DPI Laser Mouse

Votes: 47 23.6%

• Total voters

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
one of my friends has a g7, also a very good mouse for gaming
i think if the only thing you do is gaming, go for the g7
if you do more than gaming (like browsing, photoshop,...) go for the revolution
but be sure to test the mouse first!!

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Another write in vote for the MX518.

I run 1600x1200 and am still very happy with the 1600 dpi setting and would trade the second thumb button for the extra 400 dpi of the G5 (especially since it costs more to do it).

Can't imagine playing BF games without my adjustable sensitivity anymore.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I do not know how anyone uses the thumb buttons. perhaps that is a weakness of the G5/G7 models, but I feel the thumb button requires excessive pressure, and does not feel like a natural button position at all. The pressure required to activate it actually prevents me from being able to precisely and smoothly move the mouse around and fire while pressing it. If you feel the thumb button is very important for some reason, I would not choose the G7 without first trying it yourself.

However, the only thing I could see that being useful for is vent, teamspeak, etc, and those are also easily accomplished via a keyboard key.

I do not understand the above comment that the G7 is only good for gaming, and not for web browsing/photoshop? gaming is the most demanding and precise requirement for a mouse, how would it not meet the requirements for something else? hopefully the person will clarify on that.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I personally use the smaller thumb button for the parachute key in BF2, I'm usually not needing precise smooth mouse control while deploying the 'chute anyway but I also don't feel like I lose it either.

I also find the thumb buttons handy for browsing, as they function as 'back' and 'forward' buttons.

The true test of a good mouse is...

is it comfortable in your hand and do YOU like it. Definately spend some tiime in BestBuy or other electronics store just "feeling" them out.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Logitech and Razer both make good mice. I think it basically comes down preferred mouse-grip style. Logitech mice favor those who prefer to grip the entire mouse in the palm, while Razer mice favor a lighter fingertip grip.

Some say Razers are too light, but I own a Copperhead and like it quite a bit because it favors the quick-twitch fingertip method.

To each his/her own.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
that's an excellent point. I find my g7 is very comfortable to hold with my whole hand and palm, but I find it impossible to move and control the PC while holding it that way. I end up using the fingertip method anyways, which would probably be more condusive to the copperhead, if i didn't hate corded mice that is. :)

charles13

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I own a Razer Copperhead and wouldn't have it any other way... I like it's size, weight, and sensitivity. It's really a personal preference thing, so maybe you should "window shop" at a Best Buy or something and find what fits best for you...

Oh, and the LED's are sweet on the Copperhead ;)

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I know poeple are recommending trying them out first. But i live in Ireland In one of the smaller cities and I think the only place that might have these mice is PC world and I doubt theyd have them ,all let alone let me try them, I will however go down a check:)

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Thats good to know,kinda, thanks. Ill see If I can find somewhere where I can try them out. That test that joystick links to seems to be quite rubbish. Don get me wrong , I very much do appreciate the person putting the link up to the article , But teh way they tested the mice was by how fast they started malfunctioning at. THE coppperhead started malfunctioning at 32"/s . I mean come on , whos goingo to be able to react/move the mouse that fast. Obviously the older technoilogies are going to fair better in that test as they have been developed over a much longer period of time.

I think if I cant get to try one out I will go for the revolution as I do a fair beit of web surfinag as well as gaming. :)

I'lll still appreciate all your oppinions,keep them coming! :)

chris.

Spidubic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i voted for the revolution
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.

I used/use the G7 and love it. I also have the Revolution but find it a little slower than the G7. Seems sluggish. Keep meaning to look into the settings but never get around to it.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Some say Razers are too light, but I own a Copperhead and like it quite a bit because it favors the quick-twitch fingertip method.

To each his/her own.

Yep, I own a Copperhead and other then having my first one blow out when a power supply failed.. it was awesome. It was under warranty and got it replaced with a little bit or annoyance.. but yea.

Id recommend this mouse solely because I use the mouse left-handed.. and while i've used the MX 510 (i believe) mice before this one, left handed.. yes it works decently.. it heavy and uses the whole wrist. I prefer to use my fingers to move the mouse.

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
i voted for the revolution
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.

I used/use the G7 and love it. I also have the Revolution but find it a little slower than the G7. Seems sluggish. Keep meaning to look into the settings but never get around to it.

Yeah could you check th settings on the Revoulution and see what dpi its on. It can go up to 2000 dpi cant it? I was looking in another forum and poeple were talking about it only being 800 dpi, I hope thats just what it comes set on as standard and not its max dpi. ?

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
im realllyyyy sure the dpi is 800

the g5 can go three different sets at 800/1600/2000 via the + - buttons under the scroll wheel. and thats just without driver installation ( i havent used yet but you can supposedly change it to your own levels)

the g5 pwnts all mice believe me its really good for shooters, like cs bf2 prey fear etc...

for rts its also really good. due to it customiseable wieght cartridge.

i read some1 saying you wont need more than 800dpi or somthing. not quite true. on 800 its considerably slower ( as in you need to move the mouse more ) than the 1600 that im on. 2000dpi i would say is for higher res screens such as 1600x1200 ( or somthing like that ) .

i hope this helped.

g5 ftw! ( also consider the g15 keyboard)

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The G7. I use a ceramic floor tile as a mouse pad and its completely frictionless and incredibly precise. A steel-base mousepad interferes with the wireless signal.

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
I'm going to laugh and laugh when I can run circles around all you logitech, hand-mouse fanboys with my finger-mouse Razer copperhead... :) There's no such thing as twitch-response with a logitech mouse.

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

I don't suggest this mouse. I bought, but the side of the mouse is covered with this ...cheap plastic, and it pealed off only after a few weeks. It was very uncomfortable to my hand, and it took a month and a half to get used too. I don't like the software interface with it either. Has conflicting issues with games, and the descriptions of the features is ambiguous.