The best gaming mouse?

Which is the best mouse, particularly for gaming?

• Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Votes: 101 50.8%
  • Logitech G7 Cordless Laser Mouse

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • Razer Copperhead 2000DPI Laser Mouse

Votes: 47 23.6%

• Total voters

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
OK so Im looking at getting a new mouse , and I want to ge the best thats out there , Particularly for gaming. So Id like everyones oppinions on which mice are the best, particularly if you have used one or more of the listed mice.Also if there is a mouse that i have left out that you think is the best please do let me know.
Also if anyone has any links to anyreviews that compare these mice alot . That would be appreciated.

Everyones oppinions are much appreciated.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I voted G5 because I'm not a fan of wireless mice and keyboards when it comes to gaming. For shooters I can't stand even the slightest lag/wakeup, and I'm just a moderate gamer. I haven't tried the expensive highend cordless mice but I'm unwilling to invest in something I'll probably have to return.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have the mx518 for over a year now. Trust me, you won't be using anything more than 1600 dpi. Hell, I don't even use more than 1100dpi
Combine that with a good gamepad and you are good to go. I don't like wireless mice, they lag no matter what they say. If you are right handed go for g5 or mx518.

calvino

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I have used many mice such as logitech G5 G1 MX500 MX310 MX300 and
microsoft IE3.0 IO1.1 WMO etc;as different kinds of games demand different action velocity and rhythm,you should select the mouse that satisfies your require.For example if you'd like to play RTS game the G1 will be my recommend as because of it's light weight and precision tracking;however the mice such as mx500 IE3 G5 have more mass inertia to keep a more reliable control for the FPS game.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I have the mx518 for over a year now. Trust me, you won't be using anything more than 1600 dpi. Hell, I don't even use more than 1100dpi
Combine that with a good gamepad and you are good to go. I don't like wireless mice, they lag no matter what they say. If you are right handed go for g5 or mx518.
It depends on your resolution. My old computer had a res of 1024x768 and I had my G5 set to like uhh 1200 dpi for games and 800 on the desktop. Anything else was just too high. But now that my res is 1600x1200, I have it set to 2000 dpi all the time because there's more pixels to move across. I didn't understand how people could use 2000 dpi until I got my new monitor.

I voted the G5. It fits my hand perfectly, very precise, has custom weights, it's just perfect. The Razer looks nice but I would still pick the G5 over it.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i voted for the revolution
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I have the older mx1000 which doesn't have the dpi of the g5 or newer logitech models - but its sensitivity and long battery life more than make up for it. On maybe light use (1-2 hours a day) the battery would probably last 3 weeks before a recharge. I've had it a year and a half and out of 3 green bar levels I have never used it past 2.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.

I've felt your mouse at Best Buy and I can only see it as a big step up from my mx1000. What's the battery life like?

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
The G5 is by far the best mouse I have used for gaming sessions. Comfortable, accurate, smooth, fast, custom weights, and change dpi during gaming.

Ditto.

I used the Razor for a month before the lens started to get dirty already. So it was junk.

The G5 I have had for almost 8 months now. Not a problem yet. Very comfortable for gaming. Which is what I do most of the time when online.

If your a Battlefield person as I am. The DPI instant increase and decrease comes in handy when moving a turret of a tank.

Do yourself a favor, get one from Newegg.com. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104191

It's $45.99 shipped. Or go to your local best buy and pay $73.99. lol.

I have been playing games online since Quake 3 Arena came out. A long time ago. Hey it was the first real FPS game. I've been through so many types of mice. This G5 is by far the best! I just bought one the other day for my bro's kid for C-Mass. :)

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

I've felt your mouse at Best Buy and I can only see it as a big step up from my mx1000. What's the battery life like?

i use the mouse about 5 hours a day and it lasts 7 days, no problem for me :)
i recharges in 1.5 hours i think, may be a lil bit less/more

and the scroll wheel is so cool 8)

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006

Ive heard that its supposed to be a little big and heavy for gaming, making the reaction times slower, do you find this? Also Ive read that the thumb scroll wheel gets in the way sometimes . do you find that?

Also all of those people mentioning the weights in the G5 . Do you really find that very usefull? To me it just seems gimmicky.

By the way . I intend playing mainly fps's with it such as battlefield and Cs 1.6

cheers
chris.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i play cs with it, and i'm happy with it's weight, but that't just my personal favor for big and heavy mouses
i'm not having problems with the thumb wheel, and even if you do, you can turn it off while playing games.

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
voted for the copperhead from razer, I tried the G5 and the copperhead and just found the copperhead more to my liking, it just felt more comfortable for me personally. If you have friends with either of these you should try them out as you really want to use a mouse that you are comfortable with, some people prefer the G5 over the copperhead in this respect, I didn't, all down to personal taste.

Accuracy wise both of them seemed the same to me.

DeltaRage

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Get a Logitech G5 or mx518. Most pro gamers use one or the other from my understanding. mx518 has an extra button, so that can be helpful. I personally use a G5, but I may have gone with an mx518 if I had known about them (they're older and cheaper actually).

Edit: And you should get a Steelpad QcK mousepad as well. They're truly the best.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Either the Logitech G5 or the MX518 would work. I personally don't like the G5 because of the fact that it only has 1 side button. I like to have one of those side buttons for Ventrilo and the other for some important action in whatever game I'm playing but I can't do that with the G5. The MX518, however, gives me that second button that I feel helps my control setups.

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
MX518 will be a very good one (cheaper than G5/G7 too) and G5 perhaps will be depend on the taste (you want easier access to res change + 2 buttons (left-right) on scrollwheel on G5 or more side buttons on thumb on MX518?)

as for the DPI issue, what I can tell you is I don't like the notion of installing additional drivers/software, so I personally use 400/800/1600

Edit: I just got my new G5 for less than $40 on Tuesday , sorry about the cheaper part.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I am so surprised how many people prefer the G5 to the G7. I wonder if they just purchased the mouse before the G7 came out, or maybe because it's cheaper? Although less so now than in the past.

I confess, the G7's battery life is not nearly as long as some mentioned in this post (maybe 4 or 5 hours of solid gaming, but I have never measured it honestly). However, because it comes with two batteries I find this to be a minor inconvenience. I imagine there must be SOME lag with this cordless mouse, but I honestly cannot notice it. I have been using it for months now, and I would NEVER go back to a corded mouse. the cords have always driven me crazy, and I was always aware of the feel of the wire drag (even when I reduced it as much as I could).

I can switch my mouse battery so fast, I do not die even in BF2. True, there is a minor chance you could run out of battery power and die, but if it was any kind of an important tournament game or something, you'd obviously have swapped out the battery to the freshly charged one before beginning.

The mouse is comfortable, accurate, and when the teflon pads on it are new it feels SO smooth. I also agree the DPI adjustment is a great addition for games like BF2 for the tank turrets and for sniping at long distances occasionally. I will stand out and be different, by recommending the G7. I have tried the G5 and find it to be equal in every respect, except for that irritating mouse cord. If your mouse cord never bothers you, buy the g5.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Razer Diamondback FTW. Copperhead's buttons are too low, G5 and G7 only have one mouse button, and I like Razer's sensitivity adjustment more.

I have yet to try the MS/Razer Habu, but that might turn out to be the best gaming mouse to this date... any thoughts on that?

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The G5 or G7 are great, the design is the same, tough the G7 is wireless and the G5 has a rubber-like body and adjustable weight.

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
i play cs with it, and i'm happy with it's weight, but that't just my personal favor for big and heavy mouses
i'm not having problems with the thumb wheel, and even if you do, you can turn it off while playing games.

Have you used any of the mice mentioned in this thread aside form the revloution ? . How does the revolution compare to them in gaming?