The Best Gaming Routers 2021

islandwalker

Managing Editor
Editor
Mar 6, 2018
I wish you guys would test the rest of the WiFi 6E routers that has released this year.

Believe me, we would like to. But most haven't actually been released. Netgear should be happening next. Trying to get TP-Link's top-end 6E router, but no ETA on that yet.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Anything Netgear should be avoided. Nothing but problems. Had issues with their standard routers and tried their astronomically expensive Orbi series and those were somehow worse.

Putting the Rapture in 3rd is an odd choice. Tied for 2nd at worse. It's easily the best router I've ever owned, even outperforming my Linksys mesh system throughout the entire house.

M0rtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are there any gaming or fast routers that accept a fiber optic input (whatever its called) along with the usual RJ45 ?
Im asking because a lot of ISPs install fiber optic cables to your house and they terminate in their own router which is usually not the greatest so even connecting to that via Cat6 or going Cat6 to a Gaming router and then to your PC wont give you the best results.

Ideally you would want to replace their router with a gaming one for the best performance and then go from there so some options for that would be great

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
All overpriced junk. The best gaming router is a good wired router with SQM. Ubiquiti Edgerouters and MikroTik Routerboards are excellent choices. SQM is key to keeping bufferbloat down. The more bandwidth you have the faster CPU you'll need in the router to handle it with SQM on. A good wired router will have more features and roughly twice as much CPU power as a comparably priced gaming router. If you want wireless you can add access points to get better coverage for less than the price difference between a good wired router and these underpowered overpriced wireless so-called gaming routers.

The Ubiquiti ER-4 and MikroTik RB4011 are both cheaper (around $200 USD / $300 CAD) come with fast (for a router) quad core CPUs, more powerful options and perform as good as or better than the most expensive ones listed (at more than twice the price) in this article.

To test your connection for bufferbloat and find out if it's a problem on your network go here: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

Last edited: