The best GPU for this CPU.

akumati

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I plan on making a huge overpowered PC next year with a budget of 3-4 thousand. However right now, the one i built as a midrange PC 3 years ago is still holding strong.

Atm, i'm rocking a GTX 660ti with a i5-3570k @3.40. I'm planning on picking up a far better GPU that won't be bottlenecked by the CPU. I'm looking at a GTX970 with 4gb but, I wanted to come here first for professional opinion first.

Quick note: My bad, i forgot to mention that my current GPU budget is 400$

Solution

Buy either a GTX970 or a R9 290, case closed haha.

That rig will still last a long time though.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
A good overkill PC would either be SLI 980s, R9 295x2 or single Titan X. The R9 295x2 beats the Titan X in most benchmarks and is a fraction of the cost last time I checked.

Depending on what you current GPU budget and resolution you're gaming at will determine greatly what to get

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Ha quality thread for a quick comedy read. Also what sandstorm said. :p

Particularly important to profit, so ebay your old card or keep it incase you blow something.

Would disagree with Shamar, MSI has quality coil whine rates. Asus would be better if you want stop start fans. Gigabyte G1 gaming version for sheer power and temps if you are looking to OC and have a roomy enough case.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

We can't read minds only text. The more info you provide the more accurate answer you'll receive. But yes, the 970 GTX will be great.

A good PSU is required, What PSU do you have currently? If you don't know, open the box up and read it.

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

If he can run a 3570k and a 660ti, than a 970 shouldn't be to much of a problem since it even uses 5 watts less.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Yes, thank you for stating what I already know. A r9 290 was recommended and that GPU requires a higher wattage and higher quality PSU than what is needed for a 970 or a 660 ti. I'm simply covering the basis ensuring he has both avenues covered.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

SLI Titan X would be a terrible idea since each one is about 1K. If he bought two then he wouldn't have enough money to buy the rest of his components.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

That was more sarcasm and an example of what the CPU can support. The second sentence kind of gave that away.

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

Sorry captain.

akumati

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Yep, from the looks of it, i'll be picking up the 970 after all!

Nice seeing some chill people on tomshardware nowadays, i remember back then it was full of people arguing in my threads over what i should pick up ;w;

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

Lol, I can't stop laughing thinking about recommending a 4k build. That will be fun :D

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

I think the hardest part would be the case... If I could build any system.. I would want a case that was unique... or at the very lest... Spectacular!! So far I can't seem to find one...

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
My personal favourite if it were at all practical would be the full tower nzxt phantoms. The ones that look like they belong in portal.

However not the best for cooling and you could be sure that with an unlimited budget I'd make a server sized three wall custom table case for my rows of whatever the top card of the day would be :p 8 for each side of the table.

4k budget?.... I'd still be tempted to make my own small table? xD it's just so cool.