The BEST Motherboard!

yabyab

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Greetings,

I'm not planning to get the "best" motherboard rather than the "best" for what I'm going to use it for. I'm going to have 1 8800GTS card (I know GT is good but I can't seem to find it, so I will settle with GTS or GTX or Ultra whichever is better?). I've noticed that the P35 doesn't support PCI-E 2.0 right? so, I think I will go for a Mboard that supports 2.0 PCI-E. What's the best Motherboard that could help me and be good in the future also. Would I NEED to have SLI for the future? (1-2 years from now). Is there any features that I'm going to need?

My budget is open, but I am not a fan of SLI because simply I think the 8800GTS is just too powerful, isn't it?

I'm planning to play Vanguard and Age of Conan both are online games. I want to pump up the settings, I will get a 22" monitor(Samsung or LG) so I might up the resolution.

Can you guys help me choose the motherboard? (I've had great previous experience with ASUS)

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
2.0 PCI-E has more bandwidth than 1.1, but there aren't any devices available that even come close to the limit of 1.1. Therefore it's all hype. By the time actual 2.0 devices come out, all the mothreboards will be PCI-E 4.0. It's just like SATAII...

yabyab

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Does this mean even in 2 years from now I won't be finding a VGA that uses the extra bandwidth from the PCI-E 2.0? If we are going to see cards that exceeds that in a year or so, I think having a Mobo compatible with them is essential for future upgrades.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
If money isn't too big an issue, get the most advanced mother board you can. The motherboard is always the eventual limiting factor in future upgrades. Although, by the time PCI-E 2.0 devices are utilizing the bandwidth, new CPU sockets will be available.

TRENDING THREADS