[SOLVED] The best upgrade for my build

Ultra_Gamer

Honorable
Sep 13, 2015
Hey forum

I have a pretty good gaming pc at the moment, but it has a pretty good bottle neck. I was wondering maybe I should buy a amd fx 8350? I want to keep it cheap.

• amd fx 8300 stock clock speed
  • gtx 1060 3gb
  • 650 Wat power supply brozen certified
  • am3+ socket motherboard
  • Kingston fury 8gb

Maybe I could upgrade the RAM at the same time? Or do a whole rebuild but I'm looking to keep it cheap any.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
That could take a bit more research. Typically I find the bundle deals on Newegg, but not sure where you shop. There is however still a deficit in performance at 1080P gaming for current Ryzen CPUs. However, with 60Hz panels, likely a non-issue for folks with the better CPUs and GPUs. Your CPU is likely holding back your 1060, but to what degree I can't say. I don't have much experience from AMD in that era. I can say that Ryzen is much better overall at great price/performance ratios than FX series.

For a starting point for a gamer and longer upgrade cycle, I'd look at the Ryzen 5 series, such as 1600, 1600X, or newer 2600 or 2600X. These are 6-Core CPUs with HT. If you OC, better off with 1600 or 2600 and should get to...
What kind of budget are you looking at for the build? At this point, I'd recommend a platform upgrade to AM4 and Ryzen based CPUs if sticking to AMD. The AM3+ is a dead socket at this point, and going from 8300 to 8350 would be minimal impact, even OC'd. What are your goals for the upgrade? Any targeted settings or FPS?

Reactions: Ultra_Gamer
That could take a bit more research. Typically I find the bundle deals on Newegg, but not sure where you shop. There is however still a deficit in performance at 1080P gaming for current Ryzen CPUs. However, with 60Hz panels, likely a non-issue for folks with the better CPUs and GPUs. Your CPU is likely holding back your 1060, but to what degree I can't say. I don't have much experience from AMD in that era. I can say that Ryzen is much better overall at great price/performance ratios than FX series.

For a starting point for a gamer and longer upgrade cycle, I'd look at the Ryzen 5 series, such as 1600, 1600X, or newer 2600 or 2600X. These are 6-Core CPUs with HT. If you OC, better off with 1600 or 2600 and should get to about same clockspeed as X series counterparts.

Reactions: Ultra_Gamer
Solution