The Black Screen of WTF!?!

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ok, got a 9800 pro. Burning it in by running 3DMark03 on a continuous loop for hours on end. I've turned both the screensaver and powersaver modes off. Then I shut my monitor off and leave the house or go to bed. Everything seems OK for a few hours, but anything longer than that and I come back to my computer, turn my monitor on, and see nothing; just a black screen of "what the fu©k?!" and I have no other alternative than to restart. Then everything is back to normal....until the next looping benchmark. This has happened a few times and my case has excellent airflow. My cpu temps are 26/43 and my mobo temps are 28/34. Do I have a bad card or is this typical of looping benchmarks for hours on end? The card's not overclocked either.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
anybody?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I have no clue and I think that if anyone did know the answer to your question you would have gotten it already. No one is ignoring you. Don't feel bad on that account. One suggestion though: If you have just installed that Radeon, and you still have your old card, try to replicate the problem with that other card. If the problem persists, it is related to your monitor condition or motherboard/Windows power management settings. If the problem goes away with the old card installed – you have a bad 9800 Pro.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Pseudomonas

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Not necessarily... I may have a solution for you.

When I bought my Radeon 9700 Pro I had the EXACT same problems. Good POST, appeared to work fine, but when I ran 3dMark2003 for a bit the computer would remain running but I would get a black screen of WTF. I then tried a few visually demanding 3d games and sure enough after a bit I would get the same black sreen of WTF. It was most reproducable with 3dMark2003 though.

I tried everything to fix the problem, testing each variable. I discovered that, in my case at least, it was a problem with SMARTGART selecting 8x AGP. Note, I have a Asus P4P800 MB which is 8x AGP ready... however when I manually selected 4x AGP in the SMARTGART tab of my driver settings the black screen of WTF was never seen again. AND since the difference between 4x and 8x AGP is barely significant I really dont mind backing it down in the driver.

Based on your discription, this appears to be the exact same problem I had. So before you do anything, back the AGP from 8x down to 4x if it isnt already and then run a few loops of 3dmark2003.

Hope this helps and let me know what you discover.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pseudomonas on 05/05/04 11:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
lol...I never thought people were ignoring me. I was just starting to worry that I was the only person with this problem and nobody knew how to help me. That, and I had to reply to my own post to keep it on the first screen where people would see it, as opposed to falling to the second screen where it might be lost forever...

Anyway, thanks Pseudo for that precious piece of info. I have a P4P800 deluxe board myself. The smartgart 8x/4x issue though. Could it be that our video cards just don't like being run at 8x? I would call that a faulty card. I did the same testing with my 4600ti 4x card and never had a problem. I guess it could be the mobo being finicky, but since I just bought my video card, this is a plausible RMA, right? If the new card has the same issues, then I'll assume it's either a mobo problem with 8x, or I'll just have to live with 4x. Could the BSoWTF have anything to do with overheating? I've never had a card overheat on me so I don't know what the ultimate symptoms are. Thanks guys.

Pseudomonas

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
When I had my problem I RMAed the video card and had the same problem... and the next logical step was to RMA the MB and STILL had the problem. I think its just some kind of compatibility issue with that particular board and that particular card. As I said however, and many on these boards will agree, the difference between 4x and 8x is nearly insignificant. I am more than happy with my 9700 and it has served me well since it was released, though the NV 6800U or x800 XT Plat are looking quite tempting.

And the RMA guys were getting a bit annoyed with me lol.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pseudomonas on 05/05/04 11:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
To be honest you're the first person I've ever heard that looped it for hours on end. Sounds pretty odd to me. Why would you bother doing that?

If you play games for hours on end do you have the same problem?

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
where did you buy your card from? Got mine from NewEgg. Think they'll replace it or just send it back to me? I at least have to try just in case because I've had refresh issues with the card as well. Only a couple times, but it'll say that my refresh is 85hz but it flickers like 60hz until I tell it again to run at 85hz. Then it's ok.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
well, I just got the card and I want to get it "burned in" properly before I overclock it - if I even decide to. Anyway, 3DMark03 seems to tax the card the most so I just set it up to loop while I'm at work, or overnight, to get the card GPU and DDR properly burned/broken in. Also, it's a good test for when I go to, say, a lan party I'll know if my system will hold up or go down after hours of play.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Well let us know what happens when you play games on the card since that's what matters.

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
pseudo said he had the same problems - even when he played games. Right now, I don't have time to play games for 4+ hours at a time. That's why I did the benchmarking thing.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
just set up the cross-ship RMA with Newegg. With a warehouse in my own state, should have it by friday...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I've seen that happen with the video card overheats, and that can happen very slowly. Hopefully you don't have anything mounted in the next slot below your video card, because that restricts airflow.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Dudes....first off, the airflow in my case is pretty good. I don't have a way to post pics, but if you guys care enough, I can email pics of my rig to see if you have any ideas or suggestions. That said, I have plenty of open space under my video card and the wires in my case are fairly tidy and out of the way. Anyway, this next part is for pseudomonas: Try benchmarking your card at 8x for hours on end but uncheck "fast writing" in the SmartGART tab. I unchecked it and I could benchmark on 8x just as well as 4x (which worked by the way). So try that and lemme know if you have the same success.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Uhhh...yeah, I just I just reread my last post and it sounds like I took offense or something. All is well and I'll blame it on not having my coffee yet... :lol: ...and sorry if I sounded like a jerk.

Pseudomonas

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
No... Thanks but I had tried disabling fastwrite a while back. The only way I can get around my Black Screen of WTF is to back SMARTGART down to 4x. Hopefully this wont be a problem when my x800XT PE arrives.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
You are _sure_ this card is not getting hot in there? I got a 9800 Pro from some company called "HighTech" and their cooling is barely adequate (but very quiet), these cards make a lot of heat. I say I'm sure something isn't overheating when I stick my hand on it right after the PC has crashed, and see if it's hot or not. BTW I had a Quadro card that was doing just about the same thing, and I eventually found out that the stock cooling fan had worn out somehow and was not spinning fast enough to cool the card. The computer would crash, but only on warmer days after hours of use while I was basically doing only one thing - video editing - with my system, and I blamed my Hercules GTXP for days until I finally felt the GPU heatsink and discovered it was really damn hot.

Here's another thought. I don't know what overclocking utilities exist for Radeons, but you can always try underclocking it, first underclock the core and then bring that up to normal and underclock the RAM, and see if the crash still happens in both situations.

And another thought... If you've got a 9800 Pro, you either already own Far Cry or you should own Far Cry... :wink: so turn that on at some high rez where the graphics card puts out a crappy framerate like 15 or 20, and let *that* run for insanely long periods of time. See if it also crashes. If it doesn't, then your culprit is a leak or bug of some kind in 3DMark that makes it crash after several hours of looping. The chances are pretty reasonable that if such a bug existed, it would not have been noticed by very many people. If Far Cry also crashes, you're down to either heat or an ATI driver problem involving long hours of gameplay, that maybe hasn't been caught yet either.