News The California Consumer Privacy Act Went Into Effect This Week

hope it makes it to my state...casue #1 thing is contact google, fb, and MS to opt out of selling my data and collecting it :|

It covered nothing about opting out or right to be forgotten. It just informed consent what information and how that information is disseminated and to whom. A lot of companies do this already in EULA's as a CYT (Cover your tail) This just formalizes it.

In otherwords, it's just enough to be effectively inefficient at solving the real problem.

EDIT: My mistake. I went back and reread it. They said you could request data be deleted.

I wonder how that runs in conflict with ISP's being required to collect your web history for a year?

Last edited:

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
It covered nothing about opting out or right to be forgotten. It just informed consent what information and how that information is disseminated and to whom. A lot of companies do this already in EULA's as a CYT (Cover your tail) This just formalizes it.

In otherwords, it's just enough to be effectively inefficient at solving the real problem.

EDIT: My mistake. I went back and reread it. They said you could request data be deleted.

I wonder how that runs in conflict with ISP's being required to collect your web history for a year?
That's kind of the problem: someone has to remember that you opted out but the law also says that everything about you has to be wiped.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Brilliant piece of legislation. Now companies will bury it in 10,000 lines of legalease so that consumers don't bother to actually read it and click [I accept] just like EULA's.
I agree, but it's a step in the right direction.

Next, what we need are some standard web APIs, so that you can configure your browser to tell sites to delete certain classes of data collected on you. I wouldn't say "delete everything", because you might not actually want that, on certain sites where you have accounts.

TRENDING THREADS