The Cause Of And Fix For Radeon R9 290X And 290 Inconsistency

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Nah, no RMA's. Everyone ran home to change the fan or water block them...So no warranty :) J/k...But true for some. I marvel every time I see someone say "just water block it" as if we are all buying these without a care in the world if it dies the next week. I usually just spend an extra $10-20 on a great OC card and be done with it to keep warranty. My XFX 5850 can be sold WITH warranty transfer to the new user...LOL. I love that. Not sure if they still do it, but I'll be looking at XFX for my maxwell purchase (assuming AMD doesn't get some gsync like stuff or license it).

I love that I can sell my card to a neighbor etc and tell them, and it's still under warranty! I think mine was 10yr or lifetime transferable. AWESOME, and it's in a dust free machine so someone will get a decent like new card and due to heat (lived in AZ/TX with it) I can't exactly go balls out so it's barely been worked in that regard. Friggin room gets too hot at regular speeds here in AZ, OCing is pretty out most of the year if I don't want to drive myself out of the room doing it. The guts of my PC's (as a custom buider pc business owner for 8yrs...LOL) get treated to nice cool settings, while I on the other hand, get ROASTED in the room. It doesn't help that I crunch a lot of 1080p vids these days either.

I wonder about durability also though. Personally I wouldn't buy one, I'd spend more to avoid the heat etc. But I understand the value here for some. It's a lot of perf for the money if you can get over the issues. IF you have to spend to get over them though, it's not such a great deal. At best I'd wait for NON ref models if I was on a tight budget. I couldn't buy REF. No way. 95 doesn't sound as safe as 83 or 81 no matter what AMD says that will affect lifespan (and perhaps other parts in your PC). Period. The question is how much? That accelero 3 toms used is $75 at newegg I think. I'd rather buy a 780 OC and ride at 81c.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Tom's should do a 290X vs 780 Ti review when the non-reference coolers come out. In this review they should put fans to 100% and overclock both of them so we see a real world comparison...

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

That would be quite useful. I suspect that both cards are capable of amazing performance with a proper cooling solution.

DrKlahn

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Why are you testing a $550 flagship card vs. it's competitors in the mode designed to throttle performance in favor of acoustics (Quiet mode)? Why is this not being brought to our attention in these articles? This investigation should have been published before any of these findings made their way into your articles.

I honestly don't know anyone who is a PC gamer that buys a $550 graphics card and runs it in it's slowest mode. If you want to prove your integrity go back and edit these articles pointing out that you decided to favor acoustics over performance. Or better yet flip the mode to Uber and rerun the tests. I know I'm not alone in assuming that the card was being run in it's performance mode when testing against a competitors flagship.

This whole situation is shady at best.

I think it depends on the cooler design and how your system build is. Even when I was Bitcoin/Litecoin mining 24/7 my CPU never went above 32c idle or 50c under regular load, which is what it runs around normally.

I have a HD7970 Vapor-X just for reference.

So then getting a Sapphire would be equal to or better than getting a reference board since Sapphire designs the reference board.

And as for higher quality components, not always true. The Sapphire Dual-X uses the reference board (on the HD7970) but the Vapor-X uses a custom PCB that has their black diamond chokes which are considered way better than the reference setup. As well it has more VRAMs which means a more stable voltage etc.

The reference is a good starting point but companies like Asus and Sapphire, for example, normally make better than reference designs.

Did you earn the title of Dr, buy it, or just give it to yourself? If there had been any shadiness on Tom's Hardware, there would have been no response from AMD. AMD reacted immediately. That alone is very telling.

The author was very clear throughout all of the articles which mode was being used. Did you not read the articles thoroughly?

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

While I disagree with your "shady" characterization, I agree with your premise. No power user I know is the least bit concerned with how quiet they can make their systems. First thing I alter on my card is the fan profile, to make it as agressive as I can.

I figure running the fan at a relatively high speed keeps you from taxing your GPU by minimizing the rise in temps under heavy use.

Besides, I have a window unit in my room that runs on high all the time just to keep the room at a reasonable temp.

Darkresurrection

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

who do I thank!? Chris!? I thank AMD because it let me max out crysis 3, enable every single option in that demanding game and enjoy the super smooth experience only for 600$ fx 8350+r9 290= 600$ it's a shame gtx titan is 1000$ + an intel 240$ cpu=1200$ now who cares for enthusiasts? Time to grow up lads hadn't it been for AMD, you would buy your now 240$ cpu, for 1000$ and your 1000$ gpu, for 2000$ go thank AMD for that...I was testing my card no problem as such, maybe AMD sent me the press card huh!? Toms was that brazen to find that issue alone...Nobody knew about it, not AMD not Sapphire, Not Asus, Toms knew about it much to your surprise, that awar could have been a part of the plan, so that people like you can reply here...Disappointing... well I know I am going to be banned, you are good with AMD you are banned, no wonder everyone supports Toms here

lp231

Splendid

Donate your half of your life savings to Tom's Hardware and maybe we won't see nail fungus ads :p :D

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Just RedMod the Sucker, Problem solved, 1.2GHz at less then 70^C

Though the Fan RPM Spikes and Wind-Downs sounds like a bad fan, either motor or bearing. or PowerControl

MichaelJX

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
No no no!!!! It's a big lie, I own an r9-290x, never had such a problem right from the beginning, I don't know what your intentions are, at least I can say I have not faced such a problem, the fan is working fine, no inconsistencies, as an r9-290x I don't confirm this.

DrKlahn

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

It's not in the test setup notes or the graphs. Tell me on this page where it mentions the fan mode:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-2.html

You can distill this whole issue by saying "the mode design to throttle performance in favor of acoustics, is throttling it more than it should". The reason why other sites weren't reporting it or jumping on it is they were likely more concerned with the cards performance and hadn't noticed that the conservative mode was not consistent.

So rather than putting in a caveat that they are seeing an issue and will report on it when they have actual findings to report we get a "Golden Sample" sample scandal that puts a competitor in a bad light. All over a variance in Quiet mode.

Am I glad the cards will behave better for consumers? Sure. Am I glad that Tom's brought this up? Yes. Do I think they handled it appropriately. No.

The Dr. title was bestowed by a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

subzero-maniac

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
hmmm,Suspicious...I mean why haven't any r9-290x users reported this problem, I have this card, it is running well without any issues, the fan RPM is accurate and I am a 24 hour gamer too, if this problem had existed, I would have noticed it for sure, anyhow thanks for the article. however it just made me smile, and it made me sure that tomshardware, is nothing but a magazine these days, no integrity in your articles recently

DrKlahn

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

If you ran the card in the performance mode (Uber) you would almost assuredly not see this. That is why it is not being reported by other sites. That is why it is not being brought up in the multi-page posts on other forums.

Enthusiasts are by and large running this card for it's performance and are targeting the fan speeds appropriately. Tom's is choosing to run the card in it's conservative mode that favors acoustics. Why this is not being pointed out more clearly by them I don't know.

Since you are a fanboy, trying to prove you that an FX8350 + R9 290 cannot max out Crysis 3, is pointless.

Also I see that telling you to thank people like Chris that making companies (I don't care which one) to realise and accept their problems and try to fix it instead of ignore it, is pointless also.

But to imply that people at Tom's Hardware hate or have something against AMD, while you have no proof and while AMD admitted their problem and released a driver to fix it, I am sorry but you are a delusional fanboy.

Darkresurrection

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

nah...you are, watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE4H5-kbOls ...and ok I am a fanboy, just look at the other posts, they have not had this problem either so I am not alone, now you see what delusion means...and what do you mean!? speak English please, you mean I can't max out crysis 3 on fx 8350+ r9-290!? well, it is sad because I can, and I play it smoothly, you can be sad about that, cause you have spent more and you cant!? well it is really sad, but be honest with people

Status
Not open for further replies.