"The change password feature is currently being worked on and is unavailable."

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Hello everyone, so, this has been the message for several months now, is it ever going to be resolved? As I like to change my password every now and then. I've been more than patient.

Any information would be good to hear.

Solution
Ah, I see your problem now. Yes, it's taken a lot longer than expected. I don't have an ETA on the password changes, but it is being worked on (admittedly very slowly).

In the meantime, there might be a way to help you. You can actually change the registered email address on your account (and thus change where the password reset email is sent), which you can do so in the field above the password change, in your account settings page. The process must be initiated from that prompt, and involves registering a second account (which is never used again) using the desired email address and then setting that as the default. It's a bit of a convoluted process as it was a rough workaround for the limitations of our login system. If you need...

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Are you ignoring the second half of that message?

"As a workaround, if you need to change your password right now, sign out and use the "Forgot Password" option of the sign-in page."

That is the workaround. It will perform the equivalent of a password reset.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I tried it twice with two different email addresses, I had no email come in for a change of password, so I didn't address it. That's why I was hoping the actual website itself would regain normal functionality.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Well, that's a bit of a problem. You can't just willy-nilly use whatever email you want for that, so using a different email doesn't help. You need to be using the email registered to your account. I would also suggest checking various spam folders, as they have a tendency to wind up there. If that still doesn't work, then I'll see what I can do about it.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Thanks, the issue is I haven't had the password for my original email a couple years now, so that's not a option either, I should of figured that it would require the same one as registering. However it would be great if normal forum features start functioning again soon, only reason I even asked was because it's been months now with no change.

Feel free to close the thread, hope to hear about some progress in the near future.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Ah, I see your problem now. Yes, it's taken a lot longer than expected. I don't have an ETA on the password changes, but it is being worked on (admittedly very slowly).

In the meantime, there might be a way to help you. You can actually change the registered email address on your account (and thus change where the password reset email is sent), which you can do so in the field above the password change, in your account settings page. The process must be initiated from that prompt, and involves registering a second account (which is never used again) using the desired email address and then setting that as the default. It's a bit of a convoluted process as it was a rough workaround for the limitations of our login system. If you need further instructions on that, please let me know.

Solution

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Sorry for the late reply. That would actually be great, as I plan to get rid of that email entirely eventually due to no accessibility. If you can point a step by step guide or any additional information, I shall attempt to do that instead.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
The following is a very rough and rudimentary guide I wrote up for the mods a while back:

In order to change the email associated with their accounts, users have to perform the following steps:

1) Go to account settings: http://www.tomshardware.com/community/account

2) Under "Related Accounts", they must click "Add account"

3) From here, they must register and confirm a new account.

4) They then must log in with this second account, using the newly registered email.
4A) This will result in them being logged in to the original account.
4B) The dummy account is never used again and becomes inaccessible, despite still being, for all intents and purposes, present and existing in the database.

5) Then they have to navigate back to account settings

6) Under "Related Accounts", they need to hit "Edit" and choose the new email to act as the main email.

Let me know if any of that is confusing or if anything needs more explaining :)