The Classic ntoskrnl.exe BSOD. Only seems to happen when Video Encoding

Sep 5, 2018
Hi All

I've been having an issue with my PC for a while now and it's really hampering me at a time when I need it

For some reason, and ONLY during video encoding, I'm getting SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSODs. These are intermittent and really frustrating

I've memtested, installed new GPU and PSU, had it tinkered with at a hardware store, nothing can seem to get to the bottom of it. I'm almost at the point of buying a new PC despite already investing almost £500 trying to fix this one but I'm looking to see if there's any chance of success

AMD FX-8350
Geforce 1060 6GB
16GB RAM DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
ASUSTek M5A97 R2.0

I have the dump file available on wetransfer if that's useful

Have you tried stressing the CPU with Prime95? The problem seems to point to the CPU, as rendering/encoding is CPU intensive, and the system is crashing only when you're rendering/encoding.

If the system BSODs under Prime95, try another CPU. If another CPU solves the problem, then the CPU is at fault. If it still BSODs, it seems like the motherboard is at fault. Also, try different RAM, just in case MemTest isn't finding a problem that your encoding software is. If other RAM still doesn't solve the problem, then it seems like the motherboard's on it's way out.

Also, can we have the dump files?

Sep 5, 2018
Hmm, you may be onto a point with the CPU, I downloaded Prime 95 and while it hasn't BSOD'd two of the cores (I'm guessing that's what workers are) failed immediately with an error

[Thu Sep 06 10:34:50 2018]
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 5.713078615319511e+016, expected: 8.02667117737743e+016
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.49609375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I'll keep stressing it to see if it BSODs

Sep 5, 2018
Sadly no, an if I'm honest the technology is a little outdated these days. A new FX8350 which would fit the architecture would cost about £80, however for £300 I could replace Motherboard, Processor and RAm upgrading to a Ryzen 2200 and a Gaming MOtherboard which may be a better option that continuing to poke it

Graphics card and rest of components are pretty much modern day anyway so that's certainly an option

Would like o see if I can narrow it before performing surgery though.

It's had a lot of problems recently, the USB 3.0 ports were intermittent and I was having major power issues a while back so replaced the PSU (and GPU while I was at it as last one was dead) and it seemed all was well for a while until the BSOD'ing started again. To be honest if I were to guess anything I@d say Motherboard at this point but it's a real nightmare to find as standard testing shows nothing

Sep 5, 2018
Will run Prime95 overnight though to see if I get a full BSOD failure or if it's just individual cores

In a fun note, the main BSOD is happening when I'm using Sony Vegas to pull together videos of differing resolutions. If I keep to same resolution it seems to survive much longer (guessing re-encoding to different res is nightmarish on processor but tbh I'm clutching at straws there).

Sep 5, 2018
Additionally had an error this morning where the PC stalled halfway through boot up but booted back up once fully unplugged. I'm suspecting either PSU (annoying as I replaced it less than 6 months ago) or the motherboard/CPU really are on their way out and that may be the solution afterall

Your drives look to be OK, though you might want to consider a UPS. You seem to have lost power to the computer about 100 times, according to your SSD.

If you have another PSU that you could try, you might want to try that PSU and see if it makes a difference.

Sep 5, 2018
That may have been the old PSU which certainly was on the way out which is why I replaced it. This is a real doozy atm, it seems to be a very specific set of circumstances which cause the blue screen (encoding...NOT live screen recording or Twitch Streaming, or differing resolutions in one video project). Gaming is fine and smooth, internet's great, systems running colder than the other side of the pillow

I'll get those Stress Tests done and report back, see what's what