[SOLVED] The cloned NVMe is missing ~ 19 gigs?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I have two Samsung 970 500 gig NVMe M.2s that were installed on my Asus prime X470 pro motherboard.

I was worried about screwing up the installation of a new graphics card and so I decided to clone the C: drive NVMe to its twin on the D: drive. Both are installed on the mobo but the PCIe for the D: drive is not as fast as the C: drive. I did the "quick format" (of D: ) from within Windows Disk Management. Then I downloaded the free version of Macrium and followed the clone instructions.

Well so I cloned it. From within Windows Disk management the two drives looked identical, same amount of space, reserved space, etc. I was just using defaults. (two very small partitions for recovery and EFI and the rest for the C drive).

Nonetheless, when I do a "properties" analysis of the two drives, the cloned drive (the former D drive, it is now removed from the build and sitting in a box) and the original C drive, the original C drive has about 19 gigs more content than the cloned D drive.

I can't figure out why this is. When I look at the individual folders on the C drive (which I use ONLY the OS and installed apps, though I think there's a chunk of file indexing on there too), what I see is identical. But the total content comes out 19 gigs more on C: drive.

I actually did it over again just to make sure, so near as I can tell I did it OK. Not in a mood to test the clone by installing it.

I'm wondering if there is something obvious I'm missing. Maybe nineteen gigs of something or other gets loaded on boot. Maybe it's the GPU's reserved territory (I have 32 gigs of RAM, so 16 gigs is getting close to the 19 gigs observed delta).

Clearly what I would like to read is that it's all normal.

thanks,
Greg N

Solution
Solution