Question The computer freezes and there is no choice but to restart it ?

Sep 3, 2022
Hi, I'm new around here. English is not a language that I control, sorry if at any time it is not understood.
Context: I have a computer that I bought in 2015. In 2018 there was a fluctuation in electricity, the computer was off, but plugged in. That's where the problem arose:

The PC after a certain time of being turned on, it froze, I could not do anything but restart it (No matter where, it froze even in the BIOS). The more he used it, the shorter the time until it froze again. Afterwards, the PC would freeze and shut down. It reached the point that it did not freeze, it directly turned off, until it did not turn on. Sometimes when restarting / turning it on, it didn't make all the noise that the computer should make, and it didn't even start the BIOS, it could be minutes until it could turn on as it should normally.

I have taken it to the technical service where I previously bought the computer. According to them, the motherboard is damaged so it needs to be replaced with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. I didn't have the money, so I've taken the pc and put it in its cabinet box and settled for a notebook that I can barely watch YouTube videos on.

I remember having researched in forums and everything seems to indicate that the problem was the power supply. I already had problems with another power supply, Sentey (XPP625-PS), it had burned out and was replaced by another model of the same brand (XCP630-TS)
Is the problem that I have described due to a damaged power supply, or was the previous diagnosis correct (the motherboard is damaged)?

Now I have money, and I have thought about buying a new power supply and hard drive, with the idea of, in case it doesn't solve this problem, use that power supply and hard drive for a new PC.
Now, doubts arise due to my ignorance on the subject: If the motherboard was damaged, could it damage the new power supply and hard drive? I don't want to spend the money and then throw it away because the new components have been damaged, that's my fear.

To sum up:
  • Is the problem caused by the power supply, or is the motherboard really damaged?
  • Will using a new power supply and hard drive in a PC with perhaps a damaged motherboard damage these new components?

--SID--

Respectable
Jan 23, 2021
Could be the motherboard, could be the PSU. You only know by replacing the parts.

The PSU is very bad quality to begin with. How can they sell a 630w PSU when the sum of the rails is 610w? 480w @12v on a 630w unit and a voltage switch are also signs of a bad PSU.

Sep 3, 2022
Could be the motherboard, could be the PSU. You only know by replacing the parts.

The PSU is very bad quality to begin with. How can they sell a 630w PSU when the sum of the rails is 610w? 480w @12v on a 630w unit and a voltage switch are also signs of a bad PSU.
Hehe, I didn't understand half of what you said. Yes, the power supplies are very bad, at the time I remember that everyone advised not to buy anything from the Sentey brand.
Your comment gave me more questions than answers 😕

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
To sum up:
  • Is the problem caused by the power supply, or is the motherboard really damaged?
  • Will using a new power supply and hard drive in a PC with perhaps a damaged motherboard damage these new components?
1) As said could be either one. The psu is easiest to replace and as easy to take to a new system so best choice to start with when replacing.

2) No your motherboard won't give that feedback to the psu so no damage will come to a new psu from the motherboard. If something goes wrong with a psu is it either the psu itself that is faulty or there is a problem between the wall and the psu or if something does give a power search from the system can it only be one of the two power users, either the gpu or the cpu, but don't think that this will happen.

Might want to share what parts in the pc now, maybe it will help with a better determenation which parts is faulty, but again psu is easiest to check.

You can btw check the motherboard for maybe black spots on solders or parts or blown capacitors.

Reactions: Tac 25

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pc freezing is most often system drivers. Pc shutdown is most often system drivers. Bios is @ 50% load on pc.

A pc plugged in is not Off, the psu is still On, in Standby mode, only the Windows is Off.

Yes, Sentey psu is very bad. Sentey 500w = 250w - 300w in reality.

Only way to start diagnosis is with different but better psu. Must eliminate Sentey as possible/probable cause. Bad power can result in corruption of system files, cpu errors, ram errors, freezes, shutdowns. All those are Results of bad power, Cause is bad psu.

ASK THE COMMUNITY