Question The computer restarts continuously

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 15, 2022
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
I changed a new case, a CPU cooler and a new nvme memory.The pc restarted by itself after 30 minutes, it happened again after another 30 minutes, I opened a game and it happened immediately. Now it happens immediately as soon as I log in to windows, I don't have time to do anything. It also reboots while I try to get into safe mode, the only time it doesn't reboot is when I enter the bios. The temperatures of all components are between 30 and 40 degrees. The cables are connected correctly I have already had another person check this. I tried to disassemble and reassemble everything and it restarts the same, I tried to remove the nvme memory too and the same happens ... Until 4 days ago with the old case everything was fine, I don't think my power supply is suffering from 4 more fans and a memory. When the computer remained on for at least 10 minutes, I checked the events and found an error when it restarted:
+ System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}
EventID 41
Version 8
Level 1
Task 63
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000400000000002
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2022-10-13T18:23:59.4272614Z
EventRecordID 45829
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8
Channel System
Computer DESKTOP-AJUDAED
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Nothing happens in the bios but as soon as I exit the bios it happens at any other time, is it possible that windows strains the computer and restarts? While the Bios is lighter to boot?
This is the computer:
Motherboard: Msi B550M PRO-VDH-WIFI
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
RAM : DIMM DDR4 16GB Crucial Ballistix Set 2x8GB
power : 600w Fortron FSP600-60AHBC85
DISSIPATORE: Assasin X 120 R SE
SSD 1:240GB Kingston UV400
SSD 2:1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2
HDD: 1TB Toshiba HDD DT01ACA, SATA 6Gb/s
CASE: Overstell kyanite
Many tell me it's the power supply but it didn't happen 4 days ago before the change.All components worked correctly.
Another information is the fact that the pc does not shut down when it restarts, the fans remain on.
I have already updated the bios
It seems strange to me that it is a driver problem, it would have happened before installing these components. Can I try to unplug the USB and AUDIO cables from the case?

One of the easiest things to do as a start is to run on a single RAM stick (make sure it is in the right single stick slot). Then, if that doesn't work, try a different RAM stick (make sure power is not only off, but that it is unplugged and has had time to discharge capacitors). Should that fail, then perhaps it isn't RAM. The next easiest and closest thing to do for stress test and basic testing is to run memtest86+. This is primarily for exercising RAM in patterns to detect failures, and if it does detect a failure, then noting if it is at the same position (physical address) each time, versus at different locations, one can figure out if it is RAM causing issues. Should this succeed without error, then you know basics are working correctly (it is sort of its own miniature operating system, and is self-contained...memtest86+ does not use any of the hard drive software).

Should that work, then you are probably in the realm of testing the hard drives or other components (e.g., video card; this can fail in memtest86+, but so little of the GPU is used that you might consider many GPU failures to have no effect on memtest86+, or to otherwise make it obvious it is not RAM failing).

Oct 15, 2022
One of the easiest things to do as a start is to run on a single RAM stick (make sure it is in the right single stick slot). Then, if that doesn't work, try a different RAM stick (make sure power is not only off, but that it is unplugged and has had time to discharge capacitors). Should that fail, then perhaps it isn't RAM. The next easiest and closest thing to do for stress test and basic testing is to run memtest86+. This is primarily for exercising RAM in patterns to detect failures, and if it does detect a failure, then noting if it is at the same position (physical address) each time, versus at different locations, one can figure out if it is RAM causing issues. Should this succeed without error, then you know basics are working correctly (it is sort of its own miniature operating system, and is self-contained...memtest86+ does not use any of the hard drive software).

Should that work, then you are probably in the realm of testing the hard drives or other components (e.g., video card; this can fail in memtest86+, but so little of the GPU is used that you might consider many GPU failures to have no effect on memtest86+, or to otherwise make it obvious it is not RAM failing).

memtest I have already done it, the reboot problem arose when I changed the heatsink, case and nvme ssd. I did everything I could do to the PC, even changed the thermal paste again, put the old case back, restored the windows, is it possible that the hard disk of the operating system was damaged, just assembled the computer again? I don't have the possibility to test other hard drives ..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stress test. Takes a working piece of hardware and virtually pushes it as far as it can go.

No part of that applies to you. It's not the ram. POST would fail if the ram was in question. It's doubtful it's any other piece of hardware failure as the same POST would also fail. Long before Windows loaded and software was now taking control of everything from bios.

Power on the pc and wait until Windows is starting to load, right after the point where getting into bios is no longer possible. Pull the plug. Literally. Do so 3x. On the 4th power up, you should be taken to the Windows Repair/Troubleshooting menu. Follow the Troubleshooting menu to Repair Windows.

If that fails. In bios, check to make sure the NVMe is configured correctly. It should be AHCI, and in the Boot tab, should be CSM disabled and boot mode should be WinOS not OtherOS. UEFI only.

...It's not the ram. POST would fail if the ram was in question. ...

RAM which fails at some address ranges will still POST. RAM which is marginal, and does not always fail, can also POST. From what I see I also agree it is unlikely the RAM, but reaching POST should not be considered a method of saying the RAM is "good" (only that it isn't outright failing).

Incidentally, if it fails under stress after heat sink changes, then I would also be questioning if the heat sink compound was spread out properly. Even a tiny bubble of air can destroy stability since temperature may have a small "hot spot" which temperature sensors might not even detect.