News The coolest case mods of Computex 2024

D

Deleted member 2731765

Which one is your favorite pick, @apiltch !

Mine is still the same as before, Thermaltake's Bumblebee case Mod. I like the neat look of this case. Even the gas station model looks funky !

But few other case mods look like they have been overly modded, imo.

mYzJWKQmvrRPTmc2twwPkd-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan F. Mercer

Reputable
Apr 6, 2021
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this. I have a liquid cooled case that I painstakingly made myself. Yes, I do think it looks cool, but everything I did had a utilitarian purpose. I liquid cooled it so I could run silent, because it runs our entertainment system. I used hard line because flex line can swing around like a pendulum, especially if there's a heavy fitting in the middle of a long tube. I used transparent tubing so I can see any air bubbles, organic growth, or debris that might collect in the line. I used glass for my hard line, because it is non staining and I could buy pre-bent 90 from Titan. Cutting and polishing glass is really easy. I use transparent UV reactive green coolant, because when the black lights are on, any leaks will literally glow. My black lights are on a rocker switch on the back of the case, because I don't need a light show when I'm trying to watch a movie. I have a smoked glass side panel so I can see inside with a flip of that switch and don't have to open up the case. It's smoked glass because, again, I don't need a light show, I just need my leaks to glow. Yeah, it looks cool, but for a reason. So while it wouldn't be incorrect to call it a multimedia sculpture (ha ha), It's not an art piece. It all serves a utilitarian purpose. Making art from a PC only ensures your art work will become obsolete. Choose a different medium.

Reactions: 35below0

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this. Making art from a PC only ensures your art work will become obsolete. Choose a different medium.

Some, have way more time/resources than either you or I. This is their hobby/passion. Remember that not everything is made just for "you" and things become a little more simple, over time.

Choice and options are always better than monotony and uniformity.

Art is truly in the eye of the buyer/admirer. If you don't find it interesting, it's not for you.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this. I have a liquid cooled case that I painstakingly made myself. Yes, I do think it looks cool, but everything I did had a utilitarian purpose. I liquid cooled it so I could run silent, because it runs our entertainment system. I used hard line because flex line can swing around like a pendulum, especially if there's a heavy fitting in the middle of a long tube. I used transparent tubing so I can see any air bubbles, organic growth, or debris that might collect in the line. I used glass for my hard line, because it is non staining and I could buy pre-bent 90 from Titan. Cutting and polishing glass is really easy. I use transparent UV reactive green coolant, because when the black lights are on, any leaks will literally glow. My black lights are on a rocker switch on the back of the case, because I don't need a light show when I'm trying to watch a movie. I have a smoked glass side panel so I can see inside with a flip of that switch and don't have to open up the case. It's smoked glass because, again, I don't need a light show, I just need my leaks to glow. Yeah, it looks cool, but for a reason. So while it wouldn't be incorrect to call it a multimedia sculpture (ha ha), It's not an art piece. It all serves a utilitarian purpose. Making art from a PC only ensures your art work will become obsolete. Choose a different medium.
I agree with you. There is a line that separates design with a purpose and just doing stuff for the hell of it. But at the same time, if truckers can have mods and 27 thousand lights, then why not this?

The only reason against is that PC building is damn nerdy enough without some people trying to make it "cool" as well.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I have a liquid cooled case that I painstakingly made myself. Yes, I do think it looks cool, but everything I did had a utilitarian purpose.
I've been doing some light-duty utilitarian case modding, myself. Some of the choices I make are admittedly aesthetic (understated, black themes), but others (like my preference for windowless aluminum cases) are indeed about getting the best performance.

Making art from a PC only ensures your art work will become obsolete. Choose a different medium.
The ATX form factor has had an amazingly long run! A lot of these cases could be repurposed for a new build, with only minimal or moderate trouble.

I don't really like the cases that look like vehicles or creatures*, rather than computer cases, but I recognize that's just my own aesthetic preference. The cases I like best are those with some innovative (or unconventional and seemingly advantageous) functional aspects, paired with refined and elegant styling. That's just me.

* Special exception: the Chobits case from years past. That made sense, because they were robots and the series made many PC references to their internals.
; )

doughillman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Cool story bro.

(Narrator: It was, in fact, not a cool story bro. It was just a sorta pathetic attempt at being an iconoclast.)

:rolleyes:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
when i see case mods the only thing i want to know where can i buy these, and if cant buy them, why are you showing them to me?
Ever been to an art museum? You can't buy the pieces there, either.

I think companies do these exhibitions to get more publicity for their brand and traffic to their booths. You also see this sort of thing at car shows and other kinds of tradeshows, I think.

P.S. if you really liked something you saw, maybe you could contact the artist or the company behind it and see if they'll make you one. They won't be cheap, but one-off artwork rarely is.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Ever been to an art museum? You can't buy the pieces there, either.
We buy PC cases but not statues or handcrafty stuff. If i see a case that i'd actually want but never can have then really what is the point? Unless it's in a PC case museum.

Restaurants don't have pictures of food you're NOT gonna eat there.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
We buy PC cases but not statues or handcrafty stuff. If i see a case that i'd actually want but never can have then really what is the point? Unless it's in a PC case museum.
Well, I like cars. I don't go out of my way to look at nice cars, but if I see a car that I could never afford, that alone doesn't keep me from checking it out.

Restaurants don't have pictures of food you're NOT gonna eat there.
Uh, we seem to be off track. Yes, there are places you can see art that will also sell it to you: those are called galleries. My point about museums is that some people like to look at stuff, even when they're not shopping for it.

purposelycryptic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I feel like a lot of these have really jumped the shark... some, several sharks wearing jaunty hats.

Whatever floats people's boats, I suppose. *Shrug*

I just used to look at case mod showcases, and the cases were, for the most part, ones I really wished I could have myself, and would have been an awesome functional conversation piece in my office.

Here, there were only one or two that I would even be willing to have out in the open, the rest were just... way too much. And I wouldn't trade an unmodded case for any of them.

I feel like the modding scene has very much gone in the direction of MORE = BETTER for far too long, and this is where it brought us.

Oh well, I'll leave it at that, it's time for this old man to go outside and yell at some clouds.

Reactions: 35below0