The Core i7-4770K Review: Haswell Is Faster; Desktop Enthusiasts Yawn

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If that is your opinion then so be it.

I don't doubt there are ALWAYS people that just gallop to the herd purely for the galloping with another pony. :)

Johnshardware73

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Why would anybody want a processor with graphics? I use a evga 780 and get 60 fps in Splinter Cell released last year. And still run a i7-860 . Waiting for Haswell-E.

InvalidError

Titan

Because not everyone who needs a reasonably fast CPU plays games enough to justify bothering with a discrete GPU?

Around half of Intel's business is businesses who need PCs and laptops for their office, sales and other staff that have little to no use for 3D graphics and single-processor servers where a discrete GPU would be a waste of space and power since there hardly ever is anything connected to it.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Another simple example: I'm in the process of building a basic uATX
system for use as a firewall/gateway, probably running Smoothwall,
pfsense or somesuch suitable OS. All it will be doing is routing IP
traffic, so onboard CPU gfx is ideal, in this case an Intel DQ77MK
mbd (one of the few with two NICs), Pentium G2020 IvyBridge,
Silverstone SG05BB-Lite case, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, BeQuiet 350W SFX
PSU, maximum power saving features used to minimise power consumption
and noise. Mbd, CPU, RAM and SSD all obtained 2nd-hand, saving about
150 UKP so far vs. buying all-new.

Recently I built a hifi separates-style HTPC for my brother using an
ASUS P7H55-M SI mATX board and an i3 540. He just wanted something
for data archiving, & thus was expected a boring miditower case.
However, as an xmas present, I put it all in a nice hifi case to match his
hifi setup. The built-in Clarkdale gfx works very well, and connected to
his HDTV he found it played upscaled DVDs better than his dedicated
DVD player. The system has 2x OCZ Vertex4 128GB RAID1 for data
backup, low-profile Akas cooler, DVDRW, the same BeQuiet SFX PSU,
ASUS Wireless USB kybd & mouse for easy usage. The unit runs
basically silent. See:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/htpc1.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/htpc2.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/htpc3.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/htpc4.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/htpc5.jpg

I have numerous PCs with a whole range of GPUs, but sometimes a CPU's
built-in gfx is very useful indeed, and it's an intriguingly different challenge
to try and get a system running with absolute minimum noise & power usage.

Ian.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Intel made the Sandy bridge because of the phenom X6, without competition from AMD Intel will make small improvements every generation to make more money :(

Intel is threatened by AMD, that is why they are releasing all these new "things" so that they appear dominant and superior like most of the intel fanboys claims it to be. Just exactly the same as Nvidia that is getting undermined by AMD new radeon series.

InvalidError

Titan

I think ARM is a much bigger threat to Intel than AMD has ever been: Intel has never been forced to be competitive at the $30 price point before and with SoCs, Intel cannot rely on chipset sales to inflate their total revenue per system sale anywhere near as much.

If Intel lets integrator move their traditionally PC-based applications to ARM/Android, that's a chunk of market share Intel would have a hard time earning back.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

True, but Andriod/mobile/Tablet market also has Nvidia. Nvidia is a big player in the mobile market especially the Tegra chips. It has decent performance and gfx compared to Intel. At least the tablets i've tried the tegra 4 is better than the horrible intel ones. Also Samsung, Texas instrument, and Motorola are the other market players on mobile chips especially Texas and Motorola has been making chips for a long time for mobile devices.

Perhaps intel has been sitting on its "throne" too long and forgot that they are not the only chip makers.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Because not everyone buys a computer to play intensive games. There are tons of people who buy AMD APUs for low end gaming (MMOs) and use it as a media centre for home entertainment. Besides APU's are not bad chips. They do offer extremely good performance especially the new ones like Kaveri and add a R7 260X in there you made yourself a mid-end gaming machine.

Well, MMOs aren't necessarily that low-end. I certainly saw a big boost in Wildstar when I upgraded from a Radeon HD 6850 (faster than any APU on the market) to an R9 270.
But for people that don't crave the highest settings in games, an APU is an attractive option.

InvalidError

Titan

And Tegra chips are ARM-based, just like Samsung's Exynos, Qualcomm's Snapdragon, Apple's custom SoCs and over a dozen other ASIC designers' SoCs. Tegra is just one of the newest high-profile kid on the ARM block; one of the few with their own proprietary IGP and optional software-defined radio.

Aug 6, 2013

I use my Onboard 4770 processor GPU for the Battlescreen (Map) in Battlefield 4; so that my iChiLL GTX 780 has all the ooomph it can muster on Ultra (with or without the stereoscopic 3D). I use the on-board GPU via HDMI; and HDMI also goes through an Amp to 615Watts (RMS) of 5.1 surround sound Monitors.

Its lovely.

Obviously better things are on the way; but for this decade I am satisfied for now.

Hell yes its a substantial upgrade from Nehalem.
Sandy, not so much, especially if you OC.

You would see the difference in pretty much any triple A title released in the last year assuming the GPU is not the bottlecneck.

theyeti87

Honorable

I stand by what I said.

you're probably correct. i mean i can't really tell the difference between my fx8 core and my i5 excepting during boot (the newer z87 chipset DOES blast through the POST routine much faster then the old 990fx chipset on the amd motherboard); and that 8 core fx is AT BEST with it's 5ghz overclock equal to a stock nehelam i7.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I boot in way too fast on an fx8 core to even care about boot times. To me the SSD and Windows 8.1 make the bigger impact. On the other hand it trounces the non-8 core Intel's in what I need it to do. Render 3D images.

This feels like bait... Lets not...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Unless you're using a frame counter, you won't see the difference in any game so long as the framerate stays above your monitor's refresh rate.

And in many newer titles it DOES go WAY above monitors refresh rate.
Guild Wars 2 which is an older title on an even older engine is very much improved the last few generations.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

First you say you would see a difference, now you're admitting to the contrary.

As long as your framerate stays above your monitor's refresh rate, the processor makes absolutely no difference. If your monitor's refresh rate is 60hz, it doesn't matter if you're using an Athlon5350 or a Core i7 4790K. You won't see a difference as long as the system can maintain a 60FPS minimum.

Oops, I meant below. For example, during WorldVSWorld fights (150 players v 150 players v 150 players from 3 different server), framerate on my 3570K at 4.7GHz goes down to mid 20s.
On a friend Haswel(pretty sure its an I7 4790K stock, could be I5 stock), it hovers in the mid 30s. That is a significant increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.