The Core i7-4770K Review: Haswell Is Faster; Desktop Enthusiasts Yawn

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

But you are paying an extra $100-150 of difference between the 3500 and 4700k models. You could always lower the graphics down a bit to improve performance. Trying to get some extra fps is a disease. You'll be spending thousands each year trying to catch the latest to get few more fps.

I do not disagree. What I am saying is that there ARE reason to upgrade from 1st generation I5/I7, not from one gen to the next.

theyeti87

Honorable

The i7-950 Nehalem I have can be overclocked and stable on air to boost performance to that of the i7-975 Extreme and beyond, which puts it in the same tier of performance as today's top Ivy bridge, only with lower fuel economy.

With that reasoning, if you overclock Ivy you can get even better results.
Overclock vs overclock always, never overclock vs stock as so many people tend to do.

theyeti87

Honorable

I'm not interested in dimishing returns, but rather actual performance and the money required.
My point in all of this thread is that it's an enormous waste of money to upgrade from Nehalem to Ivy Bridge.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

That happens for all sorts of articles, not just this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS