The Cost of Flight Simming In The U.K.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

The response to a reply that I gave to a problem that a recent "simmer"
posted on this newsgroup prompted me to ponder on the inflated prices
of hardware, software and consumables that we have to pay for in the
U.K. compared with the U.S. and the rest of Europe.
Is it me or are we being "ripped off" in the U.K.?

Pete.

I haven't been in the UK since 2002 (I live in the USA) but I was quite
surprised by the high price of everything even then. With the dollar even
more in the toilet today, I can't even imagine what things cost now. My
guess is that everything is 70-90% more in the UK than the USA.

Doug

"Pete" <piperwarrior5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The response to a reply that I gave to a problem that a recent "simmer"
> posted on this newsgroup prompted me to ponder on the inflated prices
> of hardware, software and consumables that we have to pay for in the
> U.K. compared with the U.S. and the rest of Europe.
> Is it me or are we being "ripped off" in the U.K.?
>
> Pete.

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Wake up and smell the roses there, it's not just FSimming that Brits get
ripped off on. More or less every consumer item is £ for $.

"Pete" <piperwarrior5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The response to a reply that I gave to a problem that a recent "simmer"
> posted on this newsgroup prompted me to ponder on the inflated prices
> of hardware, software and consumables that we have to pay for in the
> U.K. compared with the U.S. and the rest of Europe.
> Is it me or are we being "ripped off" in the U.K.?
>
> Pete.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi...
I have done a little research and I have come up with thise figures.
Exchange rate today (6th March 2005)
50 US Dollars = 26 GB pounds

Petrol (Gas) prices in the UK
(http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/)

High octane = 86.3p / litre ($1.65) = £3.92p Gallon ($7.53)

Unleaded 95 Octane = 79.6p / litre ($1.51) = £3.62p Gallon
($6.96)

Diesel = 84.8p / litre ($1.61) = £3.85. Gallon ($7.40)

(1 UK gallon = 1.200950 US gallons)

Therefore High Octane = $6.27 per US gallon
Unleaded 95 Octane = $5.80 per US gallon
Diesel = $6.16 per US gallon

I hope my maths are correct !!

So as you can see, your $50 would not go far over here!
Think of how much it costs to "gas up" a 747 !!

Pete

Doug wrote:
> I haven't been in the UK since 2002 (I live in the USA) but I was quite
> surprised by the high price of everything even then. With the dollar even
> more in the toilet today, I can't even imagine what things cost now. My
> guess is that everything is 70-90% more in the UK than the USA.
>
> Doug

Let's not forget petrol. My girlfriend and I spend £30 a week just for
the privilege of going to work and back.

Huw

william

Just curious why is $2.15 per gallon too low here (US ) and why would or
should we want to pay more?

Other countries that have high fuel cost is mainly caused by excessive
government taxes .

Bill

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

I don't know the current conversion rate, but I'm spending over $50 USD per
week, just getting to and from work (about 100 miles a day round trip).

Arthur B

"Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
> Doug wrote:
>> I haven't been in the UK since 2002 (I live in the USA) but I was
>> quite surprised by the high price of everything even then. With the
>> dollar even more in the toilet today, I can't even imagine what things
>> cost now. My guess is that everything is 70-90% more in the UK than the
>> USA.
>>
>> Doug
>
> Let's not forget petrol. My girlfriend and I spend £30 a week just for
> the privilege of going to work and back.
>
> Huw

Jon

Probably something to do with global warming and pollution in general.

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> Just curious why is $2.15 per gallon too low here (US ) and why would or
> should we want to pay more?
>
> Other countries that have high fuel cost is mainly caused by excessive
> government taxes .
>
> Bill
>
> "Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Hi Melissa,

I fully agree with you about the "miss-use" of our fossil fuels, (and
hope that "additional message" wasn't meant for me :), but I don't think
higher prices are the answer. I would like to think awareness of the problem
was, but know that, unfortunately, most people just don't care. I took
public transportation for 27 years to my job in downtown Chicago, but when I
was laid off, I had to find new work where ever I could. I **HATE** all this
driving. In my opinion, public transportation to ALL the places one needs to
go would help immensely (if people would use it). I know I'd take it in a
flash if I could, but there just isn't any that will take me where I need to
go any more.

Arthur B

Pete wrote:
> Hi...
> I have done a little research and I have come up with thise figures.
> Exchange rate today (6th March 2005)
> 50 US Dollars = 26 GB pounds
>
> Petrol (Gas) prices in the UK
> (http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/)
>
> High octane = 86.3p / litre ($1.65) = £3.92p Gallon ($7.53)
>
> Unleaded 95 Octane = 79.6p / litre ($1.51) = £3.62p Gallon
> ($6.96)
>
> Diesel = 84.8p / litre ($1.61) = £3.85. Gallon ($7.40)
>
> (1 UK gallon = 1.200950 US gallons)
>
> Therefore High Octane = $6.27 per US gallon
> Unleaded 95 Octane = $5.80 per US gallon
> Diesel = $6.16 per US gallon
>
> I hope my maths are correct !!
>
> So as you can see, your $50 would not go far over here!
> Think of how much it costs to "gas up" a 747 !!
>
> Pete

Nice work Pete! I agree, that $50 wouldn't go far here. I spend more
than that a week for a journey which is considerably shorter than yours,
Arthur.

Huw

Ummmm wow! :) Based on that, I guess I'm glad I don't have to pay UK prices!
Thanks for the calc's.

> Pete wrote:
>> Hi...
>> I have done a little research and I have come up with thise figures.
>> Exchange rate today (6th March 2005)
>> 50 US Dollars = 26 GB pounds
>>
>> Petrol (Gas) prices in the UK
>> (http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/)
>>
>> High octane = 86.3p / litre ($1.65) = £3.92p Gallon ($7.53)
>>
>> Unleaded 95 Octane = 79.6p / litre ($1.51) = £3.62p Gallon
>> ($6.96)
>>
>> Diesel = 84.8p / litre ($1.61) = £3.85. Gallon ($7.40)
>>
>> (1 UK gallon = 1.200950 US gallons)
>>
>> Therefore High Octane = $6.27 per US gallon
>> Unleaded 95 Octane = $5.80 per US gallon
>> Diesel = $6.16 per US gallon
>>
>> I hope my maths are correct !!
>>
>> So as you can see, your $50 would not go far over here!
>> Think of how much it costs to "gas up" a 747 !!
>>
>> Pete
>>

> Nice work Pete! I agree, that $50 wouldn't go far here. I spend more
> than that a week for a journey which is considerably shorter than yours,
> Arthur.
>
> Huw

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

"Arthur B" <burnand@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know the current conversion rate, but I'm spending over $50 USD per
>week, just getting to and from work (about 100 miles a day round trip).
>
> Arthur B

Using London Underground 5 days a week works out at $120US per week or
£62.50 to travel about 34 miles a day. Don't get me started on the price of
petrol not to mention the price of parking in London and the nice little
congestion charge they impose for the privelege of driving downtown.

Just in the process of selling a 3 bed duplex (semi) house on Essex borders
of London (area very much in decline) built in 1930's price $350K or $672K
USD or $800K CDN.

Buying a 5 bed 2 bath modern house outskirts of Vancouver BC at $300K CDN or
£130K or $250K US. You tell me where the quality of life lies!

That said salaries in UK do tend to be higher than Canada & US but not
propotionately so.

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Fossil fuels are meant to be burnt. If God hadn't meant us to do so he
wouldn't have given us the automobile.

Steph

"Canuck" <someone@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Arthur B" <burnand@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I don't know the current conversion rate, but I'm spending over $50 USD
>>per week, just getting to and from work (about 100 miles a day round
>>trip).
>>
>> Arthur B
>
> Using London Underground 5 days a week works out at $120US per week or
> £62.50 to travel about 34 miles a day. Don't get me started on the price
> of petrol not to mention the price of parking in London and the nice
> little congestion charge they impose for the privelege of driving
> downtown.
>
> Just in the process of selling a 3 bed duplex (semi) house on Essex
> borders of London (area very much in decline) built in 1930's price $350K
> or $672K USD or $800K CDN.
>
> Buying a 5 bed 2 bath modern house outskirts of Vancouver BC at $300K CDN
> or £130K or $250K US. You tell me where the quality of life lies!
>
> That said salaries in UK do tend to be higher than Canada & US but not
> propotionately so.

Average income Canadian 2 parent family with kids $67,700

Average in Englands for a family in the 20s or 30s is about 30,000 UKP

Not much in it really