The Curious Case of the Outlet, 6 Surge Protectors, and Computer That Loses Power

Leoth

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for viewing the thread,

There are a lot of possible causes of my current problem. Ill try to use bullets to keep the thread easy to read. I have numbered the surge protectors because there are so many... lol

• ■ Aroura R4 from 2012
    ■ The first year having it, my old batteried surge protector (#1) starts making noises, so I replaced it with a new batteried surge protector (#2), no problems
    ■ Flash forward to today, I've been in a new apartment for ~2 years, lights in the room have always flickered when I start the computer. There is only one outlet within 20 feet of the computer
I take the computer on a 8 hour round trip (without the surge protector) and when I return the computer loses power when I plug in my keyboard while its on. The computer got stuck in a reboot cycle until I held the power button. I switched the USB port and that seemed to fix the problem for the night. Several days later it happens again, but switching the usb ports around doesn't seem to fix the problem.

• ■ I replaced my batteried surge protector (#2) with an old strip (#3), which fixes the problem for a month.
    ■ Strip #3 starts making sounds/smells so I replace it with a brand new one of better quality (#4)
    ■ Computer starts having similar shutdown/startup problems
    ■ I contact maintenance who uses a handheld voltmeter assures me that nothing at all is wrong with the outlet.
    ■ I replace #4 with a new new strip (#5), and I'm problem free for 1-2 months, but voluntarily upgrade to a cyber power 1500 batteried surge protector (#6), no problems for 3-4 months.
The problem started again 3 days ago, now I really start to trouble shoot it. I noticed it only loses power when I initiate actions, like launching applications (chrome) or when loading games. Happens very inconsistently. Automatically reboots, usually needs some safe mode tinkering/hard restarts to get going again. It never fails to start correctly in safe mode. Sometimes I can run games and videos with no problems for 12+ hrs, sometimes the computer is extremely sensitive, shutting down when I launch internet browsers, but pretty consistently will shut down under intentionally huge loads (opening multiple gpu intensive games at once or opening +50 chrome tabs quickly). Once it begins having an episode it is very sensitive to shutdowns for about 30-40 min, but can usually run for a while after that or without any shutdowns in the morning.

• ■ Video drivers up to date, OpenHardware reports temperatures and fans all nominal, even under load leading to a power loss. Voltages appear nominal, but I'm not an expert. Kernel-power 41 error reported in event log.
    ■ Built in computer power supply test reports no errors. Dell built in component analysis reports memory and components including cables are all functioning properly
    ■ All cables and components in the case, it all appears tightly connected
It appears to work under load for a few hours but then crashes again, and it doesn't appear anything is wrong with #6, but i switched it back to #5 out of frustration and now it runs fine under any load. Its only been one night though.
So whats going on here? Am I misusing/misunderstanding my batteried power supplies? Did my computer develop some sort of problem that makes it damage my surge protectors? Are the maintenance guys wrong about the outlets? My aurora uses 2 monitors, them and the small light fixture in the room are the only devices I can determine are plugged into this circuit.

The inconsistency of the problem makes me very suspicious that there is something going on with the electricity in the apt, but then why would it only start 6 months ago and why do new surge protectors seem to fix the problem completely?

It is also mighty fateful that this problem began the day I returned from driving with the computer, so that makes it more suspicious for damage to a component.

Also, if it is an issue with the wall not being able to output enough, why havent either of the 2 batteried power supplies flicked on to prevent a loss of power in the computer like they do when there is a power outage?

UPDATE: The computer just lost power while loading into a new zone in a game on the previously unscathed strip #5 under a normal load of game+video. I will get an extension cord this weekend to play with other outlets in the apartment.

Solution
Rather blaming surge protectors/ UPSes and electrical socket/grid, have you ever considered that the PSU in your PC could be the culprit? Since as far as you've described it, i'd say your PSU is acting up.

What's your full system specs? Especially PSU make and model (or part number)?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Rather blaming surge protectors/ UPSes and electrical socket/grid, have you ever considered that the PSU in your PC could be the culprit? Since as far as you've described it, i'd say your PSU is acting up.

What's your full system specs? Especially PSU make and model (or part number)?

Solution