The current Ironman Motherboard

joe_967

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hi Folks, with quad core on the horizon, I had a question, maybe a few.

Are quad core amd's going to be using am2? And are future intel quad cores, with their new structure going to be using 650i/680i motherboards? I am not too partial to either intel or amd, which chipset currently looks like it will be around the longest?

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
AMD's roadmap is confusing as hell right now. From what I gather, the regular AM2 is just a holdover until either AM2+ or AM3...which means that any AM2 user will have to upgrade their motherboards to get full use out of upcoming CPUs. I think quad cores will technically be compatible with AM2, but they won't get the benefit of the higher FSBs they use.

I know even less about Intel, tbh.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
The upcoming Am2+ procs, Barcy/phenom will be compatible with am2 motherboards, thats why I choose this path. You will lack DDR3 support along with HT3... But that should have little or no effect on a consumer desktop, only on servers and stuff will the extra bandwidth of DDR3 and HT3 come into effect... So AM2+ Quads and duals will work with an AM2 motherboard.... provided that there will be a possible bios update for the chipsets. 590 570 550... X580/xpress 3200, and 480x/xpress 1150..

Hope that straighens some stuff out..

Idk squat about Intel's path right now..

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
You could just get p35 for future compatability. 680i and 650i are not Intel chipsets, they are nVidia, so I am not sure that Intel has to support them.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
which means that any AM2 user will have to upgrade their motherboards to get full use out of upcoming CPUs. I think quad cores will technically be compatible with AM2, but they won't get the benefit of the higher FSBs they use.

I believe that's roughly what I said :wink:

Although I did forget to mention DDR3, thanks for that.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
which means that any AM2 user will have to upgrade their motherboards to get full use out of upcoming CPUs. I think quad cores will technically be compatible with AM2, but they won't get the benefit of the higher FSBs they use.

I believe that's roughly what I said :wink:

Although I did forget to mention DDR3, thanks for that.

yep!

But I thought I would clarify that the lack of DDR3 and HT3, will not have much impact - if any at all - on the desktop user.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
ah ok, so if I upgrade now, I can use the quad's later minus the ddr3, sounds good, thanks!

As long as you have a am2 system, from the looks of your sig, you have a 939 system which is sadly a dead path now.... :cry:

So if you think you want to build a new am2 system and upgrade in a month or so to a am2+ quad... you could do that.

Personally, I would hold out on that system you've got now and go all out on a new am2+ system that will have DDR3 and HT3. Just cause that is even more future proof. And even if you don't care for DD3 and HT3 (am2+ mobos), those new mobos and ram could drive down prices of regular am2 mobos and give save you a bit of money... Just think, can you live with your current system? If the answer is yes, then hold on and hop onto a complete am2+ system or a cheaper am2 system.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'd say wait. You've got 2GB of RAM and a 7800GTX, you should be set for a while.

And the rule is, don't upgrade until you feel the need to. Your card is only about two years old, that's plenty good.