The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity

gabenligne

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Cpu: i7 6700HQ, with intel hd graphics

I am plugging my monitor (HP ZR2740w) to my laptop HDMI output and when i try to set the custom resolution to 2560 x 1440, 60HZ, in intel hd graphics control pannel, I get this error. Any ideas?

Solution

You will get the same result with any HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapter. As I just said, it is not possible to use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. You need a straight DVI-to-DVI connection or a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection since your monitor does not have an HDMI port.

DVI is only capable of 1440p...
DVI only supports up to 1080p 60 Hz with a single TMDS link, you need Dual-Link DVI to get 1440p 60 Hz. That means it is not possible to use an HDMI to DVI adapter, because HDMI ports only have a single TMDS link, they cannot provide a Dual-Link DVI signal.

gabenligne

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

None of them are HDMI cables, they are DVI to HDMI cables. And, as Glenwing already mentioned, this type of cable will not work, as there are no DVI dual link to HDMI cables.
Also, you didn't answered if your laptop's GPU supports HDMI ver 1.3 or later - because if it does not, you can't get such resolution at all.

You will get the same result with any HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapter. As I just said, it is not possible to use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. You need a straight DVI-to-DVI connection or a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection since your monitor does not have an HDMI port.

DVI is only capable of 1440p 60 Hz by using two data links. HDMI doesn't have two data links, it only has one. It achieves 1440p 60 Hz through a different method, by using a single data link but at a higher speed. Since the HDMI side doesn't support two data links, and the DVI side doesn't support higher speed single links, you will be limited to a single low-speed link, which will cap you at 1080p 60 Hz. Attempting to set 1440p 60 Hz will exceed the maximum bandwidth of a Single-Link DVI port, which will give you that error message.

You need either a DVI-to-DVI connection, so that both sides support dual-link operation, or you need an HDMI-to-HDMI or DVI-to-HDMI connection so that both sides support high-speed single-link operation. HDMI-to-DVI is limited to 1080p 60 Hz.

Since your monitor doesn't have an HDMI port, HDMI versions are irrelevant in this case; the DVI port is limited to 165 MHz Single-Link mode no matter what version your HDMI source is. You need either a DVI-to-DVI connection or a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection, no adapters.

Solution

gabenligne

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

I am running Intel HD graphics, on i7 6700HQ CPU. According to intel, I should be able to get this resolution. My monitor(HP ZR2740w) does not have a HDMI input, it has Display port or DVI and my laptop only has HDMI or VGA. Maybe there is no way to get the resolution I want :(