The default home of my browsers got hijacked by trustedsurf.com

Tristan_11

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Help! trustedsurf.com hijacked the default home of my browser!
I tried everything from using malwarebytes, hitman, adwcleaner, windows defender, etc. I also tried to reset all my browser but still no luck. I checked my programs list but it's not there! I also tried to manually remove the addons but still no luck. I'm losing hope guys! what to do!!!!!!???

Solution
G

It's a virus, installed by you in a stupid action by downloading insecure exe files. Let's fix it:
- First: it's likely bundled with some called "smartnewtab" -> Restore all browsers to defaults (some guys recommend do it in safe mode, f8)
- Run msconfig.exe, disable any suspicious starting program. The Firefox search box is fixed with this and:
- Add/remove programs: uninstall suspicious programs. Look at Program Files folder for 2 folders with something like search toolbar. Delete both. (It comes with an uninstaller, anyway delete all).
- AND: edit the shortcuts of all your browsers. The virus added the link there.

Now trustedsurf.com seems to be dead.

Not bad idea to add the following lines to your hosts...

Tristan_11

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Nvm fixed! by changing something in the properties of any browser shortcut that has been affected.
Make sure the Target line should have this Internet Explorer “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”
Chrome “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” for Windows 32 bit OR “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” for Windows 64-bit
Firefox “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” for Windows 32-bit OR “C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” for Windows 64-bit

Thank you!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you restart pc and see if they all get changed back again? adware usually pretty persistent.

I agree about Bitdefender, that and ublock origin stop me even downloading the programs that are infected, or visit the sites hosting them.

Prabhakar_2

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

Thanks !!! It did solve my problem.
I was worried and did everything and this answer is basic !

regards
R Prabhakar

Prabhakar_2

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Nvm fixed! by changing something in the properties of any browser shortcut that has been affected.
Make sure the Target line should have this Internet Explorer “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”
Chrome “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” for Windows 32 bit OR “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” for Windows 64-bit
Firefox “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” for Windows 32-bit OR “C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” for Windows 64-bit.

Tristan !! Thanks and this works !!!!

Prabhakar_2

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

The solution was so easy as above by Tristan .
Had the same problem and got it removed from Shortcuts !!

You would be foolish to think that is a "solution", it's a bandaid that hides the real problem, which is that you have malware on your system!

Get proper antivirus before it's too late. If you have problems in a few days or weeks, don't come crying, I told you the real solution already!

G

It's a virus, installed by you in a stupid action by downloading insecure exe files. Let's fix it:
- First: it's likely bundled with some called "smartnewtab" -> Restore all browsers to defaults (some guys recommend do it in safe mode, f8)
- Run msconfig.exe, disable any suspicious starting program. The Firefox search box is fixed with this and:
- Add/remove programs: uninstall suspicious programs. Look at Program Files folder for 2 folders with something like search toolbar. Delete both. (It comes with an uninstaller, anyway delete all).
- AND: edit the shortcuts of all your browsers. The virus added the link there.

Now trustedsurf.com seems to be dead.

Not bad idea to add the following lines to your hosts file:
127.0.0.1 smartnewtab.com
127.0.0.1 www.smartnewtab.com
127.0.0.1 trustedsurf.com
127.0.0.1 www.trustedsurf.com
127.0.0.1 temphilltop.com
127.0.0.1 www.temphilltop.com
127.0.0.1 surfthenetsafely.com
127.0.0.1 www.surfthenetsafely.com
127.0.0.1 istartsurf.com
127.0.0.1 www.istartsurf.com

Anyway I would recommend you reinstall your OS for safety.

Best regards.

Solution

Spinantu

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Worked perfect!!!!Thank you

It probably didn't just affect the shortcuts, they are probably just running with compromised systems that are just ticking timebombs

Just remember this thread so you can say "i told you so" when they complain about their systems getting locked ;)

darkmetatron

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I was infected by this virus about 15 days ago (start of April) and was pulling my hair out as to how to have it removed. There was no proper information on the internet and the links I read on how to have it removed, mostly seemed dubious and maybe were deliberately placed there by the virus creators as a smokescreen and simple disinformation. Tried running Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and both didn't do the job and the virus was there even after many restarts.

Then yesterday while searching for further information, I stumbled upon this forum page. Tried most of the stuff here but to no avail.

Then, it occurred to be that this must be a new virus since there was such a lack of information on it. I figured that Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may have been working on a solution and may have updated their virus definitions over the last 15 days. So, I updated the databases (both are free editions) and had them scan my system for the whole of the night. To my pleasant surprise, the virus was removed completely from my system!

I also took the advice here to have Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition installed. I must say that my system is running smoothly now.

I posted this because there would be many like me who won't know how we stumbled upon a virus and would be going crazy how to find a solution. My trust in the above 3 free software is 110%!

Actually, it does solve the issue, no need to spend money on a different AV. I had the same issue months ago, and i fixed it the same way he did and my PC has been good ever since.

vlad900

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! IT WORKS! God bless you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
why don't people use protection... its not like it makes the experience any different, it just stops you getting infected...

you know, that reminds me of something :)

thrill of getting virus doesn't work like that on pc. But still, the similarity remains, it can cost you big time to resolve.

I would download and run Roguekiller. It doesn't need to install, and will run from a USB stick, and/or in Safe Mode. I have used to to remove poopware that MalwareBytes was able to block (its warnings were how I knew I had it), but not remove nor even find. You can get it from www.adlice.com.