[SOLVED] The display is not coming on after a normal shut down.

Mar 11, 2019
Last night I normally shut down my pc through windows, i didnt force shut down or anything, all the components are about 3 months old except the power supply and im.guessing thats the problem. Sometimes when i press the power button the cpu fan goes on for not even a second then off again, sometimes it would stay on for a few minutes then go off again, and sometimes it would just stay on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
MB: ASUS Prime A320M-K
RAM: HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 8GB
GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
PSU: Proline 600W ( Relatively old )

I dont want to spend money on a psu if its not the problem.

EDIT: I have tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and i also reseated the RAM chip.

Solution
You need to do a proper diagnosis here meaning: start it barebone: RAM, CPU, MB. If you have an integrated CPU it's easy, otherwise just listen for the BIOS post.
If there's no post you are looking at a defective motherboard.
As for the PSU, never use anything that's uncertified. If you have a certified PSU it can work for 8+ years with proper cleaning.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
If I could tell with 100% certainty what's the problem in your rig without having seen it, without ever been there physically, "so you don't get to spend money on the PSU", what is stopping me from predicting 6/6 of the LOTTO numbers and become a millionaire?

Mar 11, 2019
If I could tell with 100% certainty what's the problem in your rig without having seen it, without ever been there physically, "so you don't get to spend money on the PSU", what is stopping me from predicting 6/6 of the LOTTO numbers and become a millionaire?

If the PSU is the problem i will most definitely buy a new one.

Mar 11, 2019
I decided to try and boot the computer this morning and the motherboard screen and windows logon showed then it shutdown again. When I pressed the power button again, there was no display.

Mar 11, 2019
I tried another power supply and it is doing the exact same, could it be the cable?

EDIT: I tried another cable and now it stays on for longer than a second but I am still not seeing a display, the computer shuts down after a few minutes.

Last edited:

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
You need to do a proper diagnosis here meaning: start it barebone: RAM, CPU, MB. If you have an integrated CPU it's easy, otherwise just listen for the BIOS post.
If there's no post you are looking at a defective motherboard.
As for the PSU, never use anything that's uncertified. If you have a certified PSU it can work for 8+ years with proper cleaning.

Solution