The DNS server isn't responding / I have internet, but no internet access all devices.

May 27, 2018
Hello!

I have searched around the internet for a month now, and I have tried "everything".
I use ethernet atm, I used to have wireless.
It usually goes down when I start a game or 2 devices watch Netflix or downloading files.

I used to get error message:

I have tried:
Several cmd commands.
Changing my dns to static.
Checked my network options.
Disabled Firewall/AV.
Fabric installed my router. (Asus RT-N66U/Dark Knight)
Changing my router IP.
Changing my desktop IP.
Run Windows Network Diagnotics.
Run Network Troubleshooting.

Devices:
Desktop PC, PS4, 2-3 Mobiles, 1 Mac, 1 Laptop. (Only 2-3 on the same network at once).

Router:
Asus RT-N66U (Dark Knight)

Network:
Both wireless and ethernet.

Modem:
? (I belive it's a Cisco EPC3010) I don't know the modem, because I rent an apartment where my landlord has the modem upstairs and he never has time to give me any information or help with anything.

If you need any other information just tell me.

Solution
Be very sure the machine is not telling lies. It will tell you the DNS is down both if the dns server has a issue or if the internet connection itself is down.

Run a ping to 8.8.8.8 (google dns)

Then do

NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

The first test connectivity the second dns function. If both work then try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 in your pc. Sometime the DNS proxy function in the router or your ISP dns has issues. Generally 8.8.8.8 always works.
Be very sure the machine is not telling lies. It will tell you the DNS is down both if the dns server has a issue or if the internet connection itself is down.

Run a ping to 8.8.8.8 (google dns)

Then do

NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

The first test connectivity the second dns function. If both work then try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 in your pc. Sometime the DNS proxy function in the router or your ISP dns has issues. Generally 8.8.8.8 always works.

Solution
May 27, 2018

I will try that.
Thank you for fast reply.

May 27, 2018
I have tried what you said, and nothing works. @bill001g

I don't know if it's the ISPs fault, I will call them tomorrow. The same thing happened when I was on the wireless. @doseq

I really don't know what to do. The landlord is travelling alot, and is almost never home, and whe he's home he just say something like "I will check it when I have time".

If you can not ping 8.8.8.8 your internet almost has to be down. The 8.8.8.8 ip address is actually many hundreds of machines sharing the same IP in many cities if one would fail it would just use the next one. You could try 4.2.2.2 which is a dns owned by level3 or whoever bought level3.

I pretty much leave a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 running on one of my machines. I use it to detect internet outages.

May 27, 2018

I can do it when I have internet access, but not when I get the error.
I'll call my ISP tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS