Question The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.. question

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I m going to buy a Motherboard capable of 3 display but I m hesitant because of one small detail which says The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter. I have 3 Monitors, a Dell U2414H with DisplayPort, a 24inch Hisense with HDMI, and a 15.6 inch Philips monitor with only VGA or D-sub. I m aware of the limitation of DVI Digital signal to Analog D-Sub when using adapter. My question does the manufacturers limitation both involve passive and active adapter?. Is it possible to use a Active Adapter DVI to D Sub to make it work? I cant simply make a wrong choice here because only a defective product is allowed to return item in my country. tnx

kanewolf

Titan
I m going to buy a Motherboard capable of 3 display but I m hesitant because of one small detail which says The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter. I have 3 Monitors, a Dell U2414H with DisplayPort, a 24inch Hisense with HDMI, and a 15.6 inch Philips monitor with only VGA or D-sub. I m aware of the limitation of DVI Digital signal to Analog D-Sub when using adapter. My question does the manufacturers limitation both involve passive and active adapter?. Is it possible to use a Active Adapter DVI to D Sub to make it work? I cant simply make a wrong choice here because only a defective product is allowed to return item in my country. tnx
The "-D" portion of the DVI port means digital ONLY. That is why id does not support the VGA adapter. If you MUST have VGA then you need a video card with VGA or DVI-I. You could buy a powered, active adapter and use HDMI or display port. These adapters can be hit-or-miss.