The effects of running more than one M.2 drive

Ricky55

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Hello guys

I have a Z370 Asus Maximus Hero Motherboard. I currently have x1 M.2 drive installed. Its the Samsung Evo.

I need more space and I am wanting to buy a second M.2 so I don't have to bother running cables to a 2.5" SSD.

I only have a single GPU set up. Would the performance of the drives be adversely effected if I choose to run two drives?

Also want to make sure that the use of a second drive won't effect the performance of my GPU.

I realise that M.2 drives use PCI Express lanes but I just don't know enough to answer this question hence me asking it :)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That is not how it works, the GPU gets 16 lanes from the CPU regrdless of your drives. The NVME drive gets 4 lanes from the chipset, using an NVME drive does not take lanes from the GPU. So yes you can use two NVME drives with 4 lanes each on your board and not take any lanes away from the GPU.

z270-chipset-block-diagram-16x9.png.rendition.intel.web.1280.720.png

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That is not how it works, the GPU gets 16 lanes from the CPU regrdless of your drives. The NVME drive gets 4 lanes from the chipset, using an NVME drive does not take lanes from the GPU. So yes you can use two NVME drives with 4 lanes each on your board and not take any lanes away from the GPU.

z270-chipset-block-diagram-16x9.png.rendition.intel.web.1280.720.png

Solution