'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition' Goes Gold, Here Are The System Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
The caveat here to get the Special Edition for free is that you had to have purchased the game and all of the DLCs on PC. Since the remaster isn't launching on PS3 or XBOX 360, users on PS4 and XBONE will still have to purchase the game. Since I'm a PC user, I'm personally excited for this release. I've modded the crap out of the original, and the memory restrictions suck. The updated version will allow modders to take this game above and beyond what the original was capable of.

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I really, really wish you could get this (or at least the base game) for free without needing the expansions. Even a trial would be sufficient.

Skyrim is one of those games where no matter what I did, no matter what mods I tried, or keybindings I used I simply could not play. It made me sick every single time. As to why Bethesda should care, this time I'm not the only one. Apparently it's fairly common.

Anyway, I'd really like to give this a shot in hopes that they've somehow "fixed" whatever it is about this game that doesn't agree with me. But, I'm wary about dropping even more money on a game I can't play.

I guess I can buy it and rely on Steam's refund policy (?). Though that seems to limit me to 2 hours total.

For the record, trying this mod and that mod and this combination of keybinds and that combination of keybinds and so forth can take quite a bit of time. But, you don't get very far in the game. I must've run the tutorial for The Witcher 2 a dozen times before I found a combination I could work with.

Why can't this be simple?

DrinkTray

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I just bought the Skyrim Legendary Edition for $20 at a retail store. Unlike like my first copy, it has all three DLC's included, plus a few other goodies. I believe it's cheaper than buying all three DLC's separately. Fire that bad boy up, register it with steam before 10/28, and you're good to go.

That is a good question. I can only assume it won't. I've read reports that even Fallout 4 doesn't support anything higher than 60 properly.

If it doesn't, I guess I can look forward to getting rekt by flying dishes inside houses.

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Well, the game itself has been out since 2011 and by now I have played it back and forth too many times to count, new skin, better looking graphics, blah blah blah etc., all worthless.

What makes me come back to it is mods, especially the ones from loverslab and nexus. I think I have around 800ish right now on my HD and 400ish on my current install, my ESPs alone are almost maxed out at 238.

To me, its very simple. If this remastered version breaks the mods, especially the up-to-date major ones, then its not even worth the download, free or not it will end up being nothing but headaches and frustrations. On the other hand, if going to 64 bit improves it all by eliminating the 4GB limit and makes the game more stable, on top of the other eye candy, then its something I can definitely hang with for a long, long while to come.

Even though Bethesda says it won't break mods, I'll believe it after I see it and hold my judgement until then.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
You have always been able to unlock the framerate on Skyrim and other Bethesda games, but since their physics is linked to the FPS you're going to be stuck at 60. The remaster of Skyrim is simply running on the same upgraded engine that Fallout 4 is running on, so 60FPS unless you want your physics to go crazy.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

I had a similar thing that happened to me when playing Doom 3 originally, it was related to poor performance on my PC. Basically frame rate was low, despite the game looking smooth it must've been right on the edge. In general FPS games that are immersive and played from the FPS perspective will all do that to some degree, it's motion sickness. Oddly enough I never get motion sickness in the real world and I've been out at rough sees where everyone's puking their guts out so it's really strange to me.

I like skyrim because it lets me zoom out and play from 3rd person perspective, I'll zoom in for certain things to FPS mode, like when shooting things but most of the time I don't play in FPS mode.

Bottom line, check your system performance first, poor FPS will make you ill regardless of what type of game you're playing. Additionally playing in FPS mode can do that regardless of performance. Bethesda can't help you, all they can do is make the best game possible. The key bindings shouldn't have anything to do with this, you can generally keymap as you see fit already to any other system you're used to.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Yeah, I'm tempted, but most of the recent double-dip remasters have been nice at best and usually "we apologize and patches coming soon" to fix the latest bugs.

I didn't buy all the DLC either and just checked and that's still looking like another $40-60 in some places. I bought the game on release day before for that much. I'm pretty sure I'll wait for the actual reviews and then a price drop before really considering it.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I have the game and all 3 DLC packs, so it'll be free. I haven't fired up the game for a year and I have no desire to replay it. However, some of the mods were cool, so if I can find some new mods that look like they're worth playing, I'll download the special edition and give it a try.

I really wonder what Bethesda was thinking by spending their resources on this, but hopefully, it was either super cheap or they are using what they learned on this endeavor in a next-gen games.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Funny how the game, once you do everything has zero replay value at all. I played one character for 50~ hours then waited for mods, once mods came, I found it painful to play the game again.

it may be the best gameplay wise, but story and replayability are horrid.

yea, the engine that "upgraded" to a complete crap show and constantly craps itself in even moderately detailed areas where as may other AAA games have no real issue, and preforms so horrible for what we get... the only good part of the games graphics is the god rays, but because its gameworks it over loads the effect with tessellation, and also because of the gameworks render paths it makes an already buggy and crappily coded game even worse.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
cant complain got the game on steam with all dlc just waiting to see how the new tw of the game runs. My current charcter has well over 600hrs gameplay no mods lednedaried many skill perks ledgendary dragons its been a good game i go play if i find myself bord skyrim has had many do many hours questing

Status
Not open for further replies.