The END for SLI & Crossfire.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
It is important to mention what the 7950 is composed of: 2 individual cards, both with their own ram and cores. They are, in essence, two 7900GTXs in one box. But they are NOT one card.

Depends on your definition of 'card', which is why I specifically call them PCBs.

ATi might not go down the same path cause their cards have MASSIVE cooling devices, unlike the nVidias which,

WTF are you talking about, nV's got the larget HSF on the market!

02.jpg

when joined, only cover 1 pci slot beyond the slot they use.

Which is the same as the X1800XL/X1900GT and AIW HSFs.

What im getting at is there it seems to be no more board, resistor/capacitators, or anything between the 7950GX2 and 2 7900GTXs.

Look harder Homer, 2 GTXs are much wider than 1 GX2. The reason the GX2 can have such small HSF assemblies is because they are clocked low enough to allow for that. If they could get any faster with that setup, they would.

THX for the corrections great ape. But my point stands that even if it costs 50 bucks more 4 the mfr to make the 7900gtxs (which it prolly doesnt) over the 7950 GX2. My whole point, bad info and not, is that SLi is not dead and since Ati has not made a 2in1 package yet, i doubt crossfire is either. as my point was before, the 7950GX2 is a filler between the G70 core and the G80 core.

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Duel/Quad Graphics cards were DOA from the beginning. Primary designed bolster profit margins while new technology was being developed. They're just a fad that no body will be talking about in a few years.

But my point stands that even if it costs 50 bucks more 4 the mfr to make the 7900gtxs (which it prolly doesnt) over the 7950 GX2. My whole point, bad info and not, is that SLi is not dead and since Ati has not made a 2in1 package yet,

hisgemini_mVQHDSnXSutS.jpg

and;

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/computex2006/day1/asus/p7.htm

They made it, just not sold it in a 1K package and they've had 2+ on one for a while, even quad R300s on 2 boards/PCBs.

And looks like there are future plans for more;
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32602

i doubt crossfire is either. as my point was before, the 7950GX2 is a filler between the G70 core and the G80 core.

That's true to some extent, but it also needs full SLi support to outperform the GTX-SLi, because right now 1 GX2 can't beat 2 GTX.

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Why are we only talking abt the 7950.

The point is ATI & nV have given clues that there will be more dual chip graphic cards like the 7950 coming up in the future. So the qn is simiply whether u think this will have a better future than having two seperate cards.

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
The END for SLI & Crossfire. That is the title. We are discussing whether or not SLi and Crossfire are going down. And my posture is that they are not.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
they wont go down cuz ppl(if this option becomes available), will buy 2 7950 cards to fill their dual slots, and this trend of releasing dual gpu in one pcie slot card will go on for a while

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Duel/Quad Graphics cards were DOA from the beginning. Primary designed bolster profit margins while new technology was being developed. They're just a fad that no body will be talking about in a few years.

There will always be new technology being developed + there's
always a market out there with deep pockets + LCD screens are getting
bigger with higher demands on resolution + More eye candy please.

SLI and crossfire is not dead - it's only the beginning.

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
tmac, I concur.

There are also lots of enthusiest overclockers out there that are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to setup a water cooling solution for these bad boys.....

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
all that it means is that pc's will become quad-sli, i definently prefer buying one 7950gx2 than 2 7900gtx's, and that is because its cheaper and if im a shmuck willing to put down more than a couple grand for a pc id sli it, u cant sli 4 7900gtx's no mobo supports it, but now with the dual-core gpu's u can, because 2 cards use one slot!

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Why are we only talking abt the 7950.

The point is ATI & nV have given clues that there will be more dual chip graphic cards like the 7950 coming up in the future. So the qn is simiply whether u think this will have a better future than having two seperate cards.

I really hope nVidia, and ATI only release dual-GPU cards from now on, unless somone wants Quad action, then they can pop in 2 dual GPU cards for that...