The end of A64 for S754 announced!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
It is now official...

<A HREF="http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=854" target="_new">http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=854</A> (in French)

Mobile Athlon 64, Sempron and Turion will still be produced for S754, but no more Athlon 64. AMD will not sell A64 for S754 after June 15th.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

I wonder if that will raise or lower the prices of the chips? Logically, the prices will go up - supply/demand. Any other opinions?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Hard to tell... But since Sempron will soon get 64bit support and DTR chips will still be available for enthousiasts buyers, I doubt the price will rise much.

-

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Depends on the supply of S754 motherboards I guess. If there are plenty of boards around, they will be sold (cheaply) and may cause an increase in demand of the CPU's, and therefore price. If the MB supply has mostly dried up by that time, 'no one' will want those chips, and prices might drop. There is no telling AFAICS.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well it was bound to happen. I wouldn't want to be the guy stuck with a ton of money in an A64-3700+ rig right now.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pat

Expert
Why? The 3700+ system should last long enough to be valuable. And maybe when he"ll want to upgrade, his CPU will still worth more than it should be so he wont loose that much.

My guess, AMD want to separate the Athlon line from the budget line. Having an Athlon that could run on a budget board was notcredible.

So, if you get a 754 now, it will last for some years for sure. Remember, this is budget. People that buy budget usually dont upgrade as often as enthusiast. They dont have much money and want the most for their money now. And will use it until no more usable anyway... How many upgrade from their Duron or P2... More than you think. They simply dont post here.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I will still back S754, since A64 3400+ is not going to be outdated sooner than the 2x overpriced A64 3800+.

I'll think about recommending S939 CPUs when they have equal performance/$ compared to S754 alternatives and S939 mobos become as cheap as S754 mobos.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

RichPLS

Champion
Athlon 64 Socket 754 died
20-03-2005 15:07:04 - Samuel D.

It is indeed what has just announced officially AMD which indicates that " the market demand for processors AMD Athlon(tm) 64 high performance having strongly migrated towards the socket 939, AMD wishes to communicate to you his calendar of obsolescence of its processors AMD Athlon(tm) 64 socket 754. ". Thus, the processors Athlon 64 2800+, 3000+, 3200+, 3400+ and 3700+ place at the end of the lifetime with a maximum date of order to June 15 of this year. They should thus disappear gradually from the shops to the profit of the models having Socket 939. Then, only Athlon 64 Mobile, Sempron and other Turion 64 will remain on the platform Socket 754 until new order. The next processors to be rocked will be of course Semprons, whose models Socket 939 are already announced. Socket 754 will then be used only in the portables.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
But S754 lacks PCI-EXPRESS support. Which is now an important feature if you want to keep your system for quite a long time.

-

High-end cards are going to be produced in AGP - look at the X800XL and the 850XTPE. It's even rumored the R520 will be released in AGP! I don't thinkit's doom and gloom for AGP boards at this point - far from it...

Andrea

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Apparently 3 s754 pci-e mobo's are being released:

www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=881873

(sorry, new here & couldn't get the link to work)

G

<A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=881873" target="_new"> I love clcikies! </A> :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

<A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=881873" target="_new">Clicky!</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I know this, but for how long they will be available? That is the real question... In 1+ year, will high-card still be easily available in AGP. Me personal opinion about it is if you can buy a PCI-EXPRESS mobo today, go for it! It's an insurance for GPU upgradability for years to come.

I totally understand that AGP is still alive and that high-end card are still available for it, but the facts remain : AGP will die and S754 will die too.

The best AMD platform for mid/long-term investment is S939 with nForce4 (since the new VIA chipset is not very good) period!

-

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Good and bad... Why I would buy a platform that will limit my CPU upgradability to Mobile A64 that cost more than classic A64 and that may not be available with dual-core or high-speed in the future???

And for the people who argue that A64 S939 are slower than A64 S754, I say : a few percent, will you really notice in everyday apps? I don't think so.

S939 is the number one choice for mid/long-term investment.

-

I totally understand that AGP is still alive and that high-end card are still available for it, but the facts remain : AGP will die and S754 will die too.

The best AMD platform for mid/long-term investment is S939 with nForce4 (since the new VIA chipset is not very good) period!
I didn't doubt that you would know that. It's just that the premise behind your argument is that the person who purchases will want to upgrade the video card or CPU again before upgrading the system as a whole. Most people do not upgrade video cards/CPUs between system upgrades, therefore if someone wanted to buy an A64 s754 within the next year and get a high-end video card to play for a long time, they would be able to do it without serious repercussions.

I agree that AGP/s754 for top-end systems is dying, but it's not dead and buried, yet - especially for those that buy and keep instead of upgrading. I think we can at least agree to disagree on this one.... :smile:

Andrea

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
I agree with Rugger. You can't assume that everyone will want to upgrade parts of their systems as opposed to "running the whole system into the ground" & then starting fresh.

In fact, now that there are pcie s754 boards available, I myself am debating these options as I finalize the specs for my new system. My history shows that I don't upgrade very often. However, since my present computer is a 6 yr old laptop, there wasn't much upgrading I could do on it anyway. Now given more upgrade options with a desktop, I may well be inclined to upgrade the CPU, mobo, etc on the new system more often, but I'm not sure.

Further, the fact that the 3400+ (2.4) s754 is only $35.+ cdn more than the 939 3200+ (2.0), and is $90.+ less than the 939 3500+ (2.2) is a consideration, given that I plan on video/photo editing as well as gaming. Also, I'm not building the rig myself so can't just tweak or upgrade at will without running it back into the shop.

In short, I could go either way, & I'm sure there are many people like me. Others just don't want to bother upgrading CPU's & possibly PSU's/heat sinks, etc. They just want a good mainstream computer that allows them to surf the net, email, run some office apps., play a few games, & maybe edit a few photos, and works ok for as long as possible.

pat

Expert
It looks to me that peoples are more than happy to announce 754 death.. Damn, it is only a CPU. it doenst make love to me, it doesnt cook, doesnt do the lundry... Why are you so emotionnal about a damn CPU. Get the parts, assemble everything, it works and you like it! Be happy and dont worry about futureproff. I'll tell you.. If I had to built another computer for me right now, I wouldnt make the same mistake I did with my last one. I went 939, PCIe to to try and see if all the hype was justified, but I do not browse the internet faster, I dont type faster, my game play just the same.. but my friend I sold my 754 to is very happy with it. It cost me some money for not that much..

So, get down to earth. once your computer will be up and running, you wont feel better if you have on type of cpu or another. One brand of another... It will just do the job. That's it! If you want to upgrad later, others options will be available. New CPU that might not use socket 939, Intel could have a killing CPU that will have a better performance/price ratio ... we dont know.

In the end, get something that will perform good for your need today, and that is within your budget, and once done, close the case and enjoy.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Damn, it is only a CPU. it doenst make love to me, it doesnt cook, doesnt do the lundry...

Damn Pat, you must have got a bad chip! Mine will suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pat

Expert
"Damn Pat, you must have got a bad chip! Mine will suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch!"

Does it has a sister????

If she does, then I bet she's a "double bagger" :evil:

G

Lol. Thanks folks, I needed a laugh today :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>