The end of single-box PC case design

I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
Why just a single box?
You've seen one, you've seen them all
why not a double decker design like...
http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
is can also be a robot.

baracooda wrote:

> I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
> Why just a single box?
> You've seen one, you've seen them all
> why not a double decker design like...
> http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
> where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
> makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
> easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
> is can also be a robot.

Since you show a display, keyboard, and headphone/mic why don't you bolt on
a chair so the obviously needed human can be carried along by it?

Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
useful: a riding lawn mower.

"David Maynard"wrote:
> baracooda wrote:
>
> > I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
> > Why just a single box?
> > You've seen one, you've seen them all
> > why not a double decker design like...
> > http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
> > where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
> > makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
> > easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
> > is can also be a robot.
>
> Since you show a display, keyboard, and headphone/mic why don't you bolt on
> a chair so the obviously needed human can be carried along by it?
>
> Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
> useful: a riding lawn mower.

Even better would be to allow the blade to slide up the output shaft, so you could alternate between a
riding mower or a helicopter; very useful for those hard to reach lawns.

Jon

David Maynard wrote:

> baracooda wrote:
>
> > I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
> > Why just a single box?
> > You've seen one, you've seen them all
> > why not a double decker design like...
> > http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/

DER? What's so special about a monitor on one shelf, and a PC on
another?

> Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
> useful: a riding lawn mower.

LOL! :)

Yeah: that, and the price of a token, will get you a ride on the
subway. ::rolling eyes::

I think the lawn mower robot knows precisely where to go.
Besides there are already a few remote controlled lawn mower robots,
none comes with a chair like you suggested.

Jon Danniken wrote:

> "David Maynard"wrote:
>
>>baracooda wrote:
>>

>>>I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
>>>Why just a single box?
>>>You've seen one, you've seen them all
>>>why not a double decker design like...
>>>http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
>>>where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
>>>makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
>>>easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
>>>is can also be a robot.
>>
>>Since you show a display, keyboard, and headphone/mic why don't you bolt on
>>a chair so the obviously needed human can be carried along by it?
>>
>>Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
>>useful: a riding lawn mower.
>

> Even better would be to allow the blade to slide up the output shaft, so you could alternate between a
> riding mower or a helicopter; very useful for those hard to reach lawns.
>
> Jon

I think you've got something there. And, for a James Bond twist to it, the
blade could also slide to the middle for taking out an unauthorized user.

Perhaps nothing,
I am just trying to explore the possiblity of different design in PC
cases.
Isn't the current one-box PC case design a legacy technology?
Things inside and out of the case had changed and improved by leap and
bound, and yet, the case is still just a case.
It is perhaps possible to modify the PC case slightly, and make it do
a whole lot more. I have seen a few PC case design by HP that is
slightly more interesting. Apple's new G5 is impressive but still a
one-box design.
Two box connected by height adjustable tubes that can be collapsed,
can be made to look like one box. But the in between open space
provide easy access to all kinds of PC peripherals. The upper-deck box
can be made to function like a make-shift table. The lower-base box
can still be used to house various components that aren't used
directly by the users. Thus the upper-deck box is practically a
universal device docking station for all sorts of PC peripherals. The
lower-deck box provides the power, processing power, storage and
mobility. The upper-deck box provides input and output devices that
captures and playback sight and sound. That is the basis of my product
concept.

ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message news:<4111D318.45BCC7FA@lauragoodwin.org>...
> David Maynard wrote:
> >
> > baracooda wrote:
> >
> > > I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
> > > Why just a single box?
> > > You've seen one, you've seen them all
> > > why not a double decker design like...
> > > http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
>
> DER? What's so special about a monitor on one shelf, and a PC on
> another?
>
> > Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
> > useful: a riding lawn mower.
>
> LOL! :)
>
> Yeah: that, and the price of a token, will get you a ride on the
> subway. ::rolling eyes::

> Have you looked into patenting your idea? Maybe you should contact the
> people at www.formfactors.org.
>
> You might want to find a marketing expert. I don't know that your idea
> can live up to its potential by top-posting it to usenet.

It is patented. Strangely, I am getting all sorts of reactions by
posting it on various discussion groups. Groups like, robotic, Apple
computer, tablet PC... Some replies are nice, some are not so nice. I
am also trying to find PC makers in Taiwan that might be interested in
this sort of stuff. Perhaps my design is just too complex to be
summerized in a few sentences. Before I can get my ideas across, the
audience had already lost interest, and quickly begins to raise silly
questions and suggestions.

baracooda wrote:

> I think the lawn mower robot knows precisely where to go.
> Besides there are already a few remote controlled lawn mower robots,
> none comes with a chair like you suggested.

None of them come with a desk either. But then neither do any of the
current PCs, or notebooks, or laptops and that doesn't stop you from
proposing one be built in.

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10h3k3toj2q1m0b@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>baracooda wrote:
>>

>>>I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
>>>Why just a single box?
>>>You've seen one, you've seen them all
>>>why not a double decker design like...
>>>http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
>>>where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
>>>makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
>>>easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
>>>is can also be a robot.
>>
>>Since you show a display, keyboard, and headphone/mic why don't you bolt on
>>a chair so the obviously needed human can be carried along by it?
>>
>>Then add a rotary blade to the undercarriage and you might have something
>>useful: a riding lawn mower.

jad

one word... S t a n d a r d i z a t i o n

baracooda wrote:

>>Have you looked into patenting your idea? Maybe you should contact the
>>people at www.formfactors.org.
>>
>>You might want to find a marketing expert. I don't know that your idea
>>can live up to its potential by top-posting it to usenet.
>

> It is patented.

What's the patent number?

> Strangely, I am getting all sorts of reactions by
> posting it on various discussion groups. Groups like, robotic, Apple
> computer, tablet PC... Some replies are nice, some are not so nice. I
> am also trying to find PC makers in Taiwan that might be interested in
> this sort of stuff. Perhaps my design is just too complex to be
> summerized in a few sentences.

It's too complex, period. And, as I said before, it's a 'solution' seeking
a non-existent 'problem' to solve.

wayne.chiang@gmail.com (baracooda) said:

> why not a double decker design like...
> http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/

It looks like something built by Mattel for 9 year olds.

Your idea is the eqivalent of 'studio furniture'.
--
Mac Cool

> What's the patent number?
6,443,543

> > Strangely, I am getting all sorts of reactions by
> > posting it on various discussion groups. Groups like, robotic, Apple
> > computer, tablet PC... Some replies are nice, some are not so nice. I
> > am also trying to find PC makers in Taiwan that might be interested in
> > this sort of stuff. Perhaps my design is just too complex to be
> > summerized in a few sentences.
>
> It's too complex, period. And, as I said before, it's a 'solution' seeking
> a non-existent 'problem' to solve.

One idea that i tried to demostrate is that an ordinary PC isn't not
far from being a mobile robotic videoconference machine. Ordinary
webcam based videoconference let you see other's facial expression and
not much more. with a remote robotic mobile videoconference machine,
Each party can explore each other's surrounding under a controlled
supervision of course. It is a way to enrich long distance
communication experience. Since other's surroundings often are a good
source of conversation topics.

Also, the fact that it has a desk built-in is almost consquential. It
is the result of "cutting" the PC case in half. The upper part
natrually becomes a desk. But when you collape it. The desk will
simply "disappear".

> None of them come with a desk either. But then neither do any of the
> current PCs, or notebooks, or laptops and that doesn't stop you from
> proposing one be built in.

Please note that I am using the word "desk" not exactly in its
absolute sense. Consquenctially, when I divided the PC case in half,
the upper portion naturally became rather "deskish" Your wild
suggestion on adding a chair makes no logical sense, unless you are
product designer from IKEA, and the discussion is about PC furnitures.
It is just too far fetched for PC case designers to think about
incorporating a chair into a PC case design. And the comment on adding
rotating blade is totally out of context. It may score some humorous
points but has nothing to do with PC case design.

> I am sick and tired of seeing another single-box PC case design.
> Why just a single box?
> You've seen one, you've seen them all
> why not a double decker design like...
> http://funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com/
> where the division of labor between the upper deck and lower deck
> makes more sense. The adjustable sandwiched deskoid design also gives
> easy acccess to parts and components when needed. Consequentially, it
> is can also be a robot.

With that I guess I can't take it to LAN Party. :)

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

baracooda wrote:

>>None of them come with a desk either. But then neither do any of the
>>current PCs, or notebooks, or laptops and that doesn't stop you from
>>proposing one be built in.
>

> Please note that I am using the word "desk" not exactly in its
> absolute sense. Consquenctially, when I divided the PC case in half,
> the upper portion naturally became rather "deskish" Your wild
> suggestion on adding a chair makes no logical sense, unless you are
> product designer from IKEA, and the discussion is about PC furnitures.
> It is just too far fetched for PC case designers to think about

Now, that IS funny, coming from someone who's proposing all manner of
telescoping legs and wheels for a simple PC case.

> incorporating a chair into a PC case design. And the comment on adding
> rotating blade is totally out of context. It may score some humorous
> points but has nothing to do with PC case design.

Of course it doesn't; just as a motorized telescoping accordion case
doesn't. That was the point.

baracooda wrote:

>>What's the patent number?
>
> 6,443,543
>
>>>Strangely, I am getting all sorts of reactions by
>>>posting it on various discussion groups. Groups like, robotic, Apple
>>>computer, tablet PC... Some replies are nice, some are not so nice. I
>>>am also trying to find PC makers in Taiwan that might be interested in
>>>this sort of stuff. Perhaps my design is just too complex to be
>>>summerized in a few sentences.
>>
>>It's too complex, period. And, as I said before, it's a 'solution' seeking
>>a non-existent 'problem' to solve.
>

> One idea that i tried to demostrate is that an ordinary PC isn't not
> far from being a mobile robotic videoconference machine.

That's like saying a dog house is 'not far from being' an automobile. It's
just missing a few things, like a motor, transmission, wheels...

> Ordinary
> webcam based videoconference let you see other's facial expression and
> not much more. with a remote robotic mobile videoconference machine,
> Each party can explore each other's surrounding under a controlled
> supervision of course. It is a way to enrich long distance
> communication experience. Since other's surroundings often are a good
> source of conversation topics.

Hehe. Well, when I'm in a conference call we usually have topics in mind
before hand and aren't particularly interested in 'seeking' things to talk
about.

As I said, your primary motivation is to make something you perceive as
'nifty' and are trying to dream up things for it to do rather than looking
to solve a 'need'.

> Also, the fact that it has a desk built-in is almost consquential. It
> is the result of "cutting" the PC case in half.

Which was done for what purpose? To MAKE the desk you say is 'consequential'.

> The upper part
> natrually becomes a desk.

That's what's known as "circular reasoning." It just 'naturally' becomes a
desk because you cut it in half to make a desk of it.

> But when you collape it. The desk will
> simply "disappear".

Except that it won't work. But that's another topic not really worth
getting into when there's no need for it.

> Of course it doesn't; just as a motorized telescoping accordion case
> doesn't. That was the point.

When somebody suggest an strange new idea, it is just confusing and
pointless for you to suggest an even wackier idea that has nothing to
do with the idea that suggested except certain shared parts. I would
appreciate more if your honest opinions lands directly on my design
and its implications. What is wrong with my design? Does it not
perform the tasks that it was design to do? As far as I can tell it
will. Is it a solution looking for a problem? It seems that way. But
in this case, it is more like a combinational improvements in PC case
design, videoconference enhancement, and automated robotic
photography.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> That's like saying a dog house is 'not far from being' an automobile. It's
> just missing a few things, like a motor, transmission, wheels...

Very true, if your dog house is a motor home or an RV.

> Hehe. Well, when I'm in a conference call we usually have topics in mind
> before hand and aren't particularly interested in 'seeking' things to talk
> about.

What about when family member videoconferencing back from a vacation
in an exotic destination?

baracooda wrote:

>>Of course it doesn't; just as a motorized telescoping accordion case
>>doesn't. That was the point.
>

> When somebody suggest an strange new idea, it is just confusing and
> pointless for you to suggest an even wackier idea that has nothing to
> do with the idea that suggested except certain shared parts.

Using a wacky idea to illustrate the impracticality of the original isn't
'pointless'. That IS the point.

> I would
> appreciate more if your honest opinions lands directly on my design
> and its implications.

I've previously done so many times and to great length.

> What is wrong with my design?

Impractical, expensive, is a 'solution' seeking a 'problem', and won't work
as drawn.

> Does it not
> perform the tasks that it was design to do?

The classic windshield wiper on eyeglasses invention 'performed the task it
was designed to' and didn't fly either.

> As far as I can tell it
> will.

You obviously haven't tried to actually MAKE one.

> Is it a solution looking for a problem? It seems that way.

Seems that way because, IMO, it is. And it's a common 'engineers' problem
to be obsessed with the technical niftiness of something and then try to
find something to use it for.

> But
> in this case, it is more like a combinational improvements in PC case
> design, videoconference enhancement, and automated robotic
> photography.

Just making the description more complex and tossing in a few claims like
'improvement' and 'enhanced' doesn't alter the fact.

baracooda wrote:

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>

>>That's like saying a dog house is 'not far from being' an automobile. It's
>>just missing a few things, like a motor, transmission, wheels...
>

> Very true, if your dog house is a motor home or an RV.

No, it's just as applicable to the little wooden hovel it is.

>>Hehe. Well, when I'm in a conference call we usually have topics in mind
>>before hand and aren't particularly interested in 'seeking' things to talk
>>about.
>

> What about when family member videoconferencing back from a vacation
> in an exotic destination?

They aren't going to take 'robo desk' with them just so you can wander the
thing over to an adjacent table in the restaurant to look at napkins, much
less carry it up a flight of stairs, or trek it up the side of Manu Loa.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> > What about when family member videoconferencing back from a vacation
> > in an exotic destination?
>
> They aren't going to take 'robo desk' with them just so you can wander the
> thing over to an adjacent table in the restaurant to look at napkins, much
> less carry it up a flight of stairs, or trek it up the side of Manu Loa.

They don't have to, just borrow or rent it from the hotel or other
related service provider. Just like how people managed to get fax
messages without having to bring a fax machine.

baracooda wrote:

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>>What about when family member videoconferencing back from a vacation
>>>in an exotic destination?
>>
>>They aren't going to take 'robo desk' with them just so you can wander the
>>thing over to an adjacent table in the restaurant to look at napkins, much
>>less carry it up a flight of stairs, or trek it up the side of Manu Loa.
>

> They don't have to, just borrow or rent it from the hotel or other
> related service provider. Just like how people managed to get fax
> messages without having to bring a fax machine.

Since the only place the thing will be is in the hotel just send them a
glossy brochure. Or take a picture. Or use your camcorder.

It ain't WORTH IT.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> Since the only place the thing will be is in the hotel just send them a
> glossy brochure. Or take a picture. Or use your camcorder.
>
> It ain't WORTH IT.

It is not uncommon for hotel resorts to have huge garden complex
around the pool area. Those places shall be great for mobile kiosk
such as the Deskoid.
Sending glossy brochure? over the Internet or FedEx?
may need to convert that into PDF?
Besides, the Deskoid Robotic PC will also makes capturing pictures and
videos more effortless. Looks like we may finally agreed on something.
Taking a few photos/video and quickly send it out on a wireless WiFi
network. No need to go back to the hotel room and boot up the laptop.
Just do it right on the spot.

baracooda wrote:

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Since the only place the thing will be is in the hotel just send them a
>>glossy brochure. Or take a picture. Or use your camcorder.
>>
>>It ain't WORTH IT.
>

> It is not uncommon for hotel resorts to have huge garden complex
> around the pool area. Those places shall be great for mobile kiosk
> such as the Deskoid.
> Sending glossy brochure? over the Internet or FedEx?
> may need to convert that into PDF?
> Besides, the Deskoid Robotic PC will also makes capturing pictures and
> videos more effortless. Looks like we may finally agreed on something.
> Taking a few photos/video and quickly send it out on a wireless WiFi
> network. No need to go back to the hotel room and boot up the laptop.
> Just do it right on the spot.

Build one, good luck, and then go to selling.

Again, good luck.