The Evil Within PC May Be Locked At 30 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Funny I wasn't considering this game until yesterday I was kind of in the mood to play a survival horror game. Then we get this news flash... I'll have to pass on this game if it's locked at 30fps, I haven't played a game at 30 fps since I was running counter-strike on a AMD-k6-2 500mhz with a S3 Savage 3D video card. Don't plan on going back, even if it's for artistic style or some other BS. It would probably give me a headache.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
wow, i have to have my Ad Blocker removed to add a comment? Good bye Toms Hardware. After 20 years of surfing, you've just lost me.

To answer the question, YES GAMERS WILL CARE. We spend near $1000 bucks to run games at 60+ fps, so when a developer locks it into 30, it's losing it's core audience...it's a great way to make sure that console gamers are the future and PC gamers felt pissed on

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
first of all, you guys changed where we were supposed to comment and have not made a comment on a thread in over a month. lmao

also, this is negative press. they will make this 60 fps afterwards and be like " oh we listened to pc gamers, look!"

Borge80

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Wow I probably won't even buy it if that's the case, nice job dev's locking your game at 30 fps and losing customers.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Ad Block Plus doesn't pose any issues for me at least, sounds like a problem with your config.

It's a given that we care. I've been thoroughly unimpressed by all of the Bethesda games not developed by Bethesda Game Studios, and it looks like this is just another game to follow in that long succession. Also, their minimum specs make no sense, a core i7 but a GTX 460?

Jim90

Distinguished
This 'extra detail' better be worth it - and noticeable!

However, to totally ignore the PC enthusiast (where there might be considerable investment / extra horsepower to spare) probably isn't wise.
And, at 30fps, there better not be 'significant or important' sections where gameplay speeds up - we'll definitely notice that at 30fps.

dstarr3

Distinguished
During initial development for console, they probably tied framerate into the functionality of the physics engine or god knows what else, and they don't have the time, resources, or desire to separate framerate and engine functionality, so they just said "Fuck it, PC gets 30fps, too."

Why lock this game at 30 fps when some of us have rigs which can handle Watch Dogs maxed? My rig can handle Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and NFS Rivals maxed at 60 fps and they all run on Origin. Where's the respect for high-end gaming PCs?

Wes006

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
They might as well lock the frame rate to 23.976 fps for a more "movie effect" looking game. Anyway, does anybody know the details on the "high-speed internet connection" requirement and if that's the flavor of DRM they're going for?

Wes006

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
They might as well lock the frame rate to 23.976 fps for a more "movie effect" looking game. Anyway, does anybody know the details on the "high-speed internet connection" requirement and if that's the flavor of DRM they're going for?

puggle man

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
60 fps isn't necessarily what you want in a survival-horror, or any game trying to be cinematic and set a certain kind of tone. Obviously it'll hurt any gun-play but i'm sure they've looked at the cost-benefit of going capped vs uncapped on the pc. It's not like it would take very much effort to lift that cap after porting it anyway. Regardless, i'm sure if anybody cares enough they'll create a small mod to lift that cap.

StarBound

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Pretty sure my voodoo 2 ran games faster than 30fps back when I had a celeron 466mhz. So why are developers struggling so badly to program with unlocked frame rates? Are they lazy and using some timing coded that makes certain things happen at xx.xx frames instead of xx:xx seconds?

InvalidError

Titan

If they can maintain a perfect 30fps all the time, a 30fps lock can end up feeling much better overall than being all over the shop from 20fps to 100fps.

I know I am far more sensitive to sudden jumps in frame rates than the min/max/average frame rate.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I find that for effective mouse control you really need at least 40fps, below that it can get sluggish and annoying although this may vary a lot from engine to engine. Other then that I like to use my full 76hz refresh rate

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Every frame would show up four times in a row before moving on to the next frame on my screen. For non-shooters I find 60FPS to be acceptable, but 30 is just unbearable, coming from 120...

Status
Not open for further replies.