The file "asms"on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed."

Juche

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
I am trying to install Windows XP pro SP3 on my Panasonic CF-U1, using an external USB DVD drive, and it seems to install properly up until the first install screen at the "installing windows" stage. I seem to keep getting the error "The file "asms"on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed." I've tried to type in the direct path to the file (D:\i386) but that does not seem to work. I've also tried to open regedit in command prompt, but that doesn't work either. I am very confused, if anyone has any answers I'd love to hear thanks.

Solution
Try a different CD-Rom drive... in my experience; undetected files or folders during the Windows installation specially in Windows XP installations, were related to defective reading laser or deffective RAM, so also run a Memtest86 scan, add RAM, clean the RAM slots and RAM stick pins with a soft cotton cloth moistened with alcohol. Use appropriate object such as a paper clip with the cloth wrapped around it to run it along the RAM slots.

If another CD-Rom drive is not available, try installing Windows from a USB flash drive.

Juche

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

This is an original retail copy of Windows I'm using. I have tried other discs though, all to no avail.

Try a different CD-Rom drive... in my experience; undetected files or folders during the Windows installation specially in Windows XP installations, were related to defective reading laser or deffective RAM, so also run a Memtest86 scan, add RAM, clean the RAM slots and RAM stick pins with a soft cotton cloth moistened with alcohol. Use appropriate object such as a paper clip with the cloth wrapped around it to run it along the RAM slots.

If another CD-Rom drive is not available, try installing Windows from a USB flash drive.

Solution