[SOLVED] the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable + boot manager stuff

Nov 26, 2020
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable is the error I've been getting, while trying to do literally anything related to the OS or the C: drive. I can't update Windows either. The solution I've been seeing everywhere is the chkdsk command. Since the C: drive is the drive where Windows is installed the command says that it will check the drive the next time Windows is restarted. Whenever I restart the chkdsk command does not carry through because I am met with the boot manager. Bear with me, it gets worse. Windows 7 is the default boot option and I don't even have it installed anymore. I tried to make Windows 10 the default and remove Windows 7 from msconfig buuuuuuuut........ The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Yes. please can someone help. And I have tried resetting my PC but the stupid boot manager gets in the way if I do it from settings and I use recovery mode I get another error, There was a problem resetting your PC - No changes were made. This is absolute hell. Thanks in advance if any of you can solve. Thank you.

Solution
Sorry for the verrrry late reply. I believe my drive is corrupt. Really the only thing I can't do is download anything so I use a previously made vm to dowload stuff and put it on my hard drive. And some the C: drive applications don't work, not that I use them. I wanted to know how I would go about wiping the system. I know how to install Windows 10, dont it multiple times before but I have another question. How will the product key stuff work? Will it detect that I have activated Windows 10? Thanks in advance!
If you install on a new drive in this same system, no license issues arise.
The motherboard is the key component.

When it asks for the license key, skip that and proceed on. It will activate itself...

USAFRet

Titan
Either your whole OS is corrupt, or the physical drive is corrupt.

Either way, a full wipe and reinstall is the first step on the way forward.
Having the remnants of the old Win 7 install still in there does not bode well for a simple "recovery".

Is there any critical life changing data that resides on this particular drive?

Nov 26, 2020
Either your whole OS is corrupt, or the physical drive is corrupt.

Either way, a full wipe and reinstall is the first step on the way forward.
Having the remnants of the old Win 7 install still in there does not bode well for a simple "recovery".

Is there any critical life changing data that resides on this particular drive?
Sorry for the verrrry late reply. I believe my drive is corrupt. Really the only thing I can't do is download anything so I use a previously made vm to dowload stuff and put it on my hard drive. And some the C: drive applications don't work, not that I use them. I wanted to know how I would go about wiping the system. I know how to install Windows 10, dont it multiple times before but I have another question. How will the product key stuff work? Will it detect that I have activated Windows 10? Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan

When it asks for the license key, skip that and proceed on. It will activate itself later.

Solution
Nov 26, 2020

When it asks for the license key, skip that and proceed on. It will activate itself later.

Thanks! Finally got around to doing it. It’s currently installing!