Looking for opinions on this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BMCq9r

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: £1570.73

It's about £500 over budget but I didn't plan on getting a new case, power supply or going all out on the RAM (£1242 without these things). However, selling my old stuff should cover the £500 overspend. I don't know what PSU I have in my current system but if it's bigger than 700W, I'll keep it. I have a feeling it's 650W though. Will that be suitable? PC Part Picker thinks this lot will be 549W.

Chose the i5 over the i7 as the extra £100 didn't seem worth it for the difference.
Although the Ryzen line of processors seems pretty good, the equivalent to the i5 uses just as much power (I think?) and isn't a huge amount cheaper, maybe something like £10? But the performance of the Intel was much greater so Intel has won this one.

Is there anything here that I should look at replacing with a cheaper version?
For example, the difference between the 3070 and the 3080 didn't seem worth the cost so went with the slightly cheaper card.

For the CPU cooler, there's a Noctua NH-U12A (£90) or the NH-U12S (£60). Not sure of the difference apart from the former having an extra fan? I plan on using just one here anyway so opted for the cheaper one. Perhaps the more expensive ones have "better" fans.

This PC will be used to play a few games (Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster) and dabble in video encoding from SD to HD.
While it may seem a little overkill, I also want it to last up to 5 years.

Last edited: