The Fit-PC Slim Is One Super Small PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]kitsilencer[/nom]Why??? What could this PC do that a "normal" UMPC won't? Pack fudge?[/citation]
As stated, you could use it as a car PC for bascis like MP3, GPS and OBDII reader. I can see other uses, such as wall mounted kiosks in department stores.

rdwestgate

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
What I'm wondering is if I could use this as a hub PC streaming dvd's and other media onto a TV from a server storage center.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Or if you want to totally dork out, strap it onto a belt and counterbalance it with a battery pack on the other hip and you have a wearable computer with wi-fi. You could even use that Powerglove-looking keyboard from the Tom's Guide slideshow. Just need a display that won't get you killed in traffic.

Mereo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kitsilencer[/nom]Why??? What could this PC do that a "normal" UMPC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC won't? Pack fudge?[/citation]
Well, if you really care about your bill and the environment, a 3-6 watts usage is really low! So for people who just browse the web, chat and check their e-mails, it's good.

A guy I know uses this for his everyday use and when he wants to play games, he loads up his gaming machine. That way, he saves on electricity.

christophero1973

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
The tech is a-little short. It SHOULD HAVE: (2) GIGABIT ETHERNET PORTS, (1)STANDARD SERIAL, options for (1) SSD and XP PRO. Yes, my caps were on, because this computer is starting out with TWO strikes against it already. I hate to see a good idea screwed-down by accountants.

G

It would be great for a 2nd home (i.e., country home) that has wireless IP security cameras to capture images on movement - this tiny PC can serve as a backup in case your internet connection, through which you upload those images offsite, goes down (phone outtage or lines are cut). With this size, being wireless, and apparently fan-less, you can really hide this "backup storage" PC somewhere.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
on nano-itx.com u can buy a via based system for roughly 350-400usd with 2gb memory, a significantly better cpu, and a box including power supply and a harddrive. It's more expensive, and it lacks wifi - but it has usb ports and isn't limited to a dsub vga port. Also, since it features a socket for 'laptop memory' instead if onboard solodered stuff, it can be upgraded, so you could start out with 512mb if that's all you need.

In short - it's a nice really-lowcost product for people afraid of using screwdrivers, but with a bit more funding you can get a lot more computer with powersupply prepared for incar use (or another chassis for other purposes for that matter.

Review of the thing : http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/
Store : http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=39

G

I've just used one to replace my 300W, noisy server. In power consumption alone it will pay for itself within 9 months and I now have a silent server! You can't do that with an Eee Box or Mini-ITX system.

Status
Not open for further replies.