The fly-off

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3,414
0
20,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Our resident bush pilot is needed to tell if she prefers a Rans 7, or a
Super Decathlon for getting into and out of those tight places.

Melissa, the ACA Super Decathlon is snappy and quick to react VS the
Rans 7 which is not so quick. But for the bush, which is best?????



==============================
ACA 8KCAB Super Decathlon
FS2004 update version from airhead.
Super Decathlon
8KCAB04a.zip

Pictures
http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05115/aca-deke01.jpg


SPECIFICATIONS
Powerplant: Textron Lycoming AEIO-360-H1B
Horsepower @ RPM: 180 @ 2700 RPM
Recommended Engine TBO: 1400 hrs

Website:
http://airhead.hfdd.com


===========================

FS2004 Rans S-7c Courier - avsim
RANS
s7.zip

Pictures
http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05115/rans7.jpg

Two seats in tandem, high wing, tractor, taildragger.
Full enclosure with doors. Dope and fabric covering
process. Standard engine, Rotax 912S-100hp. The
aircraft is flown solo from the front seat. Full dual
controls. Equipped with the Rotax 100 HP 912S
engine, the Courier leaps into the air in less than 325
feet. Lifting off short means little if you can’t haul a
load. 500 pounds of payload puts the Courier in the
"do something, go somewhere" class. Tough spring
steel gear and effective Cleveland Brakes let you do
that something in places previously passed by. The
gentle nature of this taildragger will encourages the
newcomer and compliments the seasoned.
Developed in the land of daily crosswinds (Kansas),
the Courier is good for 20 KTS. at 90 degrees – more
if you know a few tricks.




--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi boB,

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:23:14 GMT, you wrote:

> Our resident bush pilot is needed to tell if she prefers a Rans 7,
> or a Super Decathlon for getting into and out of those tight
> places.

> Melissa, the ACA Super Decathlon is snappy and quick to react VS the
> Rans 7 which is not so quick. But for the bush, which is best?????

Somewhere around here, I actually have a catalog from Rans (I ordered
it so that I could have something to drool over). I'll try to find
it.

I did, however, just find these for fs9:

s7tundra.zip FS2004 Rans S-7c Courier On Tundra Tires

s7floats.zip FS2004 Rans S-7c Courier On Floats

Both at the flightsim.com file library. I'll be trying them out to
see how they are. I wonder if anyone has made a very nice payware
version of the Rans?

Anyway, judging only from my simulated experience (which is the only
experience I have! :)), the Super Decathlon is not necessarily the
best plane for getting in and out of *really* tight
places...especially for landing. I should think that either the
American Champion Scout or the Piper Super Cub would be better than
the Super Decathlon for really tight spots.

The Super Decathlon has no flaps, so preparing for a landing takes a
fair amount of advance planning with regards to glide slope and
speed. You have to come in over the threshold at just the right
speed, which for this plane, is perhaps a bit faster than you might
want for a true "tight spot" landing.

After seeing those Super Cub takeoff and landing videos the other day,
I'd have to say that if a particular tight spot could handle the
wingspan, the Super Cub wins hands down as the bush plane able to
both takeoff and land in *really* tight spots! :)

With my simulated Super Decathlon, I have landed in some relatively
tight spots, but if there are obstructions like trees and such close
to the landing spot (notice I didn't go so far as to say "runway",
hee hee), one could get into a spot of bother trying not to overshoot
the available space while rolling to a full stop.

Tomorrow I'll be ordering my new hardware for the computer upgrade,
then I'll be ordering, amongst a few other things, the Scout
(RealAir) and a Piper Super Cub (Aerosoft). Then I'll see just how
tight a spot I can coax these little beauties into! By the way,
while it doesn't really have the power for really *serious* bush
flying, the J3 Cub is pretty fun in terms of landing in tight spots.
You can come in really slow and roll to a stop in a pretty short
space.

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjqCXjEYqNTZBqoEAQPE2wP/epxC/hJ5E1vnrooG5NZ1bF/1ynEYFJm2
xNXZGNLny/AHxoJcBmhn2xaXbEw2W7UqIOzR/5hVe1HMTaLzasVETSyiCwL0WcTD
7G2ZawAaJt0Lhgp8gUFplbaW6/tnCEsmNrykSPKPYJ72smURohIY2qaRcAdZqM9X
8PcdY4IS3Wc=
=AiTB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi boB,

I forgot to mention a couple more things...

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:23:14 GMT, you wrote:

> ACA 8KCAB Super Decathlon
> FS2004 update version from airhead.
> Super Decathlon
> 8KCAB04a.zip

> Website:
> http://airhead.hfdd.com

This Super Decathlon (above) was the plane I really enjoyed before I
got the RealAir version, which I think is much better.

> FS2004 Rans S-7c Courier - avsim
> RANS
> s7.zip

I'll be downloading this one as well. Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjqDSDEYqNTZBqoEAQNsrAQAjmBN1/9cMC9s5nHS7H103Ba/AUvJwi6q
CJJTQe1lM2TLb3uy3JBzXNBW0sbKB6seYhM5FUU2YneUXebRHWKuGSY1YZIJpB7Y
G0BxMK5SVvvolBWHA9ghRWrvyqDrEZz3AmbQmEfRzecGAr+eFHzFo+rYnmps7Lzu
uxapHBzdmuA=
=AY5k
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3,414
0
20,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:

>
>>FS2004 Rans S-7c Courier - avsim
>>RANS
>>s7.zip
>
>
> I'll be downloading this one as well. Thanks!
>
> - --
> Melissa

Great. I wanted your opinion because I think it did great into confined
areas but I haven't flown the payware stuff.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Don't forget the 'Sky Arrow'. It is a real little Italian GA aircraft, takes
two people and lands and takes off at 40 mph. Great visibility.

I believe there is only an FS2002 version, but it works for me in FS2004
anyway.



Cheers,

Quilly
 

crash

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
593
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Rats, I thought this was going to be a good joke, like:

Didya hear about the two flys sitting on the toilet seat?

One got pi**ed off!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:11kwqjua9okh5$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

> Anyway, judging only from my simulated experience (which is the only
> experience I have! :)), the Super Decathlon is not necessarily the
> best plane for getting in and out of *really* tight
> places...especially for landing. I should think that either the
> American Champion Scout or the Piper Super Cub would be better than
> the Super Decathlon for really tight spots.
>
> The Super Decathlon has no flaps, so preparing for a landing takes a
> fair amount of advance planning with regards to glide slope and
> speed. You have to come in over the threshold at just the right
> speed, which for this plane, is perhaps a bit faster than you might
> want for a true "tight spot" landing.
>
> After seeing those Super Cub takeoff and landing videos the other day,
> I'd have to say that if a particular tight spot could handle the
> wingspan, the Super Cub wins hands down as the bush plane able to
> both takeoff and land in *really* tight spots! :)
>
> With my simulated Super Decathlon, I have landed in some relatively
> tight spots, but if there are obstructions like trees and such close
> to the landing spot (notice I didn't go so far as to say "runway",
> hee hee), one could get into a spot of bother trying not to overshoot
> the available space while rolling to a full stop.
>
> Tomorrow I'll be ordering my new hardware for the computer upgrade,
> then I'll be ordering, amongst a few other things, the Scout
> (RealAir) and a Piper Super Cub (Aerosoft). Then I'll see just how
> tight a spot I can coax these little beauties into! By the way,
> while it doesn't really have the power for really *serious* bush
> flying, the J3 Cub is pretty fun in terms of landing in tight spots.
> You can come in really slow and roll to a stop in a pretty short
> space.
>
> - --
> Melissa

Hi Mel;

Reading this post my first reaction was that it had been written by a very
experienced and knowledgeable bush pilot. You're right on with this analogy.
When Champion designed the wing for the Decathlon, they departed from the
high camber found on the Citabria and the Scout and went instead with a
symmetrical wing. The reason for this was the need for sustained inverted
flight characteristics. The inverted nose attitude required for a more
highly cambered wing to maintain a level flight attitude while inverted is
much higher for the Citabria than for the Decathlon, which makes the
Decathlon a much better aerobatic airplane. Another factor was the removal
of the flaps on the Decathlon which gave the wing more strength;
subsequently a higher negative g capability.
You are absolutely correct about the short field landing characteristics of
the Decathlon vs the others mentioned. The Decathlon would not be my first
choice as a bush plane.
Dudley
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi Dudley,

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:46:13 GMT, you wrote:

> Reading this post my first reaction was that it had been written by
> a very experienced and knowledgeable bush pilot.

Eek! Thanks Dudley!

Thanks also for the additional details! :)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjuWpzEYqNTZBqoEAQOclQP/c7x8ge7mk0Aq224LJogNDS+ZG28NiFC2
8jm5aq5DZv/DUdFrZTPnSYZuns0Zg+vc5l0ETuCyUvNA2xWNu1awkFwRsdyBLikR
zdBi+4SFoIaIxnU156tmmjVMDd6e4mR4VOXkz2BzFcP1j6tey9r8K1B/haw+8RPz
6GNFYsyFoUc=
=PlZW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 

steveh

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
146
0
18,680
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:39vmkiF63pbuoU1@individual.net...
> Don't forget the 'Sky Arrow'. It is a real little Italian GA aircraft,
> takes two people and lands and takes off at 40 mph. Great visibility.
>
> I believe there is only an FS2002 version, but it works for me in FS2004
> anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly
I've found the Pilatus Porter great for getting into tight spots, especially
the landing on Mt St Helens thingy.

SteveH