The Funniest Thing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"I've read somewhere that the Hammer will run 32-bit code faster than *any* current 32-bit CPU out there"

That certainly remains to be seen. However, the Hammer is actually 2 CPUs on one die. The newer 64-bit x86-64 CPU, and an IA32 compatible CPU (similar to the Athlon.) This will create a tremendous draw on power and a great deal of heat, limiting how high they can clock that 32-bit CPU compared to a standalone processor. AMD would be wise to continue selling 32-bit processors for the next 5 years at least, but they are not. They are going with the hybrid. Because of all this, I honestly do not expect the 32-bit cpu in their hybrid to outperform standalone 32-bit CPUs such as the Pentium 4 when the Hammer is released. This is of course a bit of speculation, as nobody but Johnny Carson gets to predict the future. ;)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe that the Clawhammer version will not be 2 chips on one die, but will be only 1 Hammer chip for 1 or 2 way multiprocessing. Although it will be made with x86-64, I think that it may only be used for 32-bit processing only, and reserved for both workstation and desktop markets. I am not 100% sure about the 32-bit or 64-bit processing of the Clawhammer, so does anyone have info on that? AMD will continue to sell 32-bit processors, as when Hammer's are released the Barton's will be as well, which is a further implementation of the K7 core. Also, AMD knows whatever they release will have to perform on par or better than Intel's offerings in the desktop market to keep up their market share, so I'm pretty confident that their future products will do just that.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"I believe that the Clawhammer version will not be 2 chips on one die, but will be only 1 Hammer chip"

According to Tom's Hardware (http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/00q3/000822/):

'AMD's Drew Prarie has confirmed that the Sledgehammer will have two processors on a single die'

A 32-bit CPU that has to share the same die, bus bandwidth, etc, as a 64-bit CPU will have a very hard time keeping up with a straight 32-bit CPU.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, the Sledgehammer will be 2 CPUs on 1 die, but the Clawhammer version will only be 1 of those chips. The Sledgehammer is designed for servers and high end workstations while the Clawhammer will be for workstation and desktop use, with 1 or 2 way multiprocessing systems.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."