News The Future of HBM Is Lightspeed - Designs of the Future to Integrate Photonics

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I still don't have great understanding of photonics application in semiconductors or the challenges therein, but I have started to hear a lot more about it this year that in previous years. I watched an asianometry video on photonics and semiconductors a few months back which helped illuminate (pun intended) some of the design challenges and best next steps with respect to research and applications.

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Yes, the technology is definitely accelerating and simply showing up in a number of fields (quantum, semiconductors, etc). Maybe share that video's link, if you can? Tom's still has a long road to cover photonics for our audience, and I'm sure some in our community would be appreciative.

View: https://youtu.be/29aTqLvRia8?si=qz6BCnmiFNvKEc05

This is the video I was referencing. There are, i'm sure, other more rigorous and detailed videos available out there, but this one is within a nice time window for the casual observer.

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
There are the first real products with the transmission of information through light. But what is described in the article requires a miniaturization of not one, but several orders of magnitude of the optical elements. I don't know when this would be ready for mass production and in a product that is affordable even at the level of defense spending.

Nov 11, 2023
Yes, the technology is definitely accelerating and simply showing up in a number of fields (quantum, semiconductors, etc). Maybe share that video's link, if you can? Tom's still has a long road to cover photonics for our audience, and I'm sure some in our community would be appreciative.
To a large extent, photonics has so far been used for interconnects between different electronic subsystems (e.g., a memory circuit to logic circuit). It will have even larger impact if it can be integrated into the subsystems.

TRENDING THREADS