News The GeForce RTX 3080 Could Ignite Another Cryptomining Frenzy

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Meaning, I suppose, miners are going to be boosting the price of these cards above MSRP, causing spot shortages, and all sorts of other wonderful effects...

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
"We probably won't relive the dark days when gaming graphics cards were going for high prices because of the shortage caused by cryptomining."
I agree, at least initially. These graphics cards will be going for sky high prices simply because of low supply.

Also, in the calculation of profitability (where an existing system is assumed to exist) you miss out the alternative to keep the current RTX 2080 running. It takes about 390 days to catch up with the expense of buying a new card instead of keeping the old one running.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Is Tom's Hardware trying to get readers to "Just buy it" / pre-order again - now using fear of crypto miners snatching up all the cards?
If this is the case Tomshardware , why are you helping spreading this news ?

This appears to be the new norm for North American media. Brainwash the population into fearing something so they will buy something or vote for someone. I think I'm now completely finished with Tom's Hardware. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Brainwash the population into fearing something so they will buy something or vote for someone. I think I'm now completely finished with Tom's Hardware. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
Wow, you're right. I was mumbling incoherently, eyes glazed, and already pulling out my credit card, when reading your post pulled me back from the brink. Thank you, thank you.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
well... funny because the Radeon cards 5700, 5700XT and VII are as fast as the 2080TI in crypto.
so the miners will more wait to see the RDNA2 cards... lower power usage and we can expect the same level of revenues as the 3080.
so a 3080 at 320W is not a go for mining for now.
we talk about 50% more power usage than the 2080TI, but less than 50% more profit.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
If rumors about Big Navi are correct, then miners are going to stick with Team Red. The next AMD flagship is said to have 16GB of VRAM. That implies a 512-bit bus. Memory bandwidth should approach if not exceed that of a RTX 3090.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
well... funny because the Radeon cards 5700, 5700XT and VII are as fast as the 2080TI in crypto.
so the miners will more wait to see the RDNA2 cards... lower power usage and we can expect the same level of revenues as the 3080.
we talk about 50% more power usage than the 2080TI, but less than 50% more profit.
If rumors about Big Navi are correct, then miners are going to stick with Team Red. The next AMD flagship is said to have 16GB of VRAM. That implies a 512-bit bus. Memory bandwidth should approach if not exceed that of a RTX 3090.
TH even explicitly said that the Radeon VII is much better for miners. So why would they want to buy a very expensive card?? Silly.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
This appears to be the new norm for North American media. Brainwash the population into fearing something so they will buy something or vote for someone. I think I'm now completely finished with Tom's Hardware. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
This site doesn't have nearly the market pull to have any affect on sales of a product this major. Demand for these cards was going to outstrip supply even if not a single article was posted about these cards from any website.

Reactions: salgado18

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

I think that miner already know , many cards samples are given to more than 100 review sites around the world including Chinese/Taiwanese ones and I think they already tested it for mining and leaked the information to miners. I think even Tomshardware itself tested it for mining lol ..

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
No no no...not again! Another cryptomining surge will push me away from PC graphics and over to consoles. PC gaming is not worth a premium when "close enough" consoles exist. Retailers need to limit quantities to 1 per person and find ways to direct new GPUs towards gamers and creators instead of miners.

Tom's should start running stories about how amazing Intel Xe will supposedly be for miners. ;-)

Even before the crypto craze, scalpers were all over the new hardware. I recall waiting a while and signing up for waiting lists to get a GeForce 980 and later a 1080 simply because scalpers were grabbing any they could and pushing them back out on the market for a sizeable markup.

The cards are going to sell out regardless. And you can bet your butt a good number of them are going to end up back on eBay or Amazon for +$100-$200.

And sadly, people will still buy them.

Reactions: bigdragon

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You know, I'm maybe naively optimistic. Back in the 2017-2018 heydey of cryptocurrency, the enthusiasm and frenzy were young, reckless, and aggressive.

These days, it's matured... gotten older, calmer, more reasoned.

Here, I have an image to illustrate the changes in cryptocurrency frenzy over time.

(dang it, the link appears to have vanished)

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-cEKFbUmB581KBe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nofanneeded

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
No no no...not again! Another cryptomining surge will push me away from PC graphics and over to consoles. PC gaming is not worth a premium when "close enough" consoles exist. Retailers need to limit quantities to 1 per person and find ways to direct new GPUs towards gamers and creators instead of miners.

Tom's should start running stories about how amazing Intel Xe will supposedly be for miners. ;-)

Actually Nvidia could release Mining only cards with no I/O on the back and no gaming drivers ... and shut down gaming on it ... But I think that they dont want to gamble on it ...

Reactions: salgado18

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
You know, I'm maybe naively optimistic. Back in the 2017-2018 heydey of cryptocurrency, the enthusiasm and frenzy were young, reckless, and aggressive.

These days, it's matured... gotten older, calmer, more reasoned.

Here, I have an image to illustrate the changes in cryptocurrency frenzy over time.
Lol! Unfortunately, I think the miners and scalpers will be out in large numbers for the Ampere launch. The insanity in the US stock and housing markets has shown me that people are redirecting money they would ordinarily spend on dining out, or travel, into get-rich-quick schemes. Same sort of BS has been playing out almost all year for VR equipment and Nintendo Switches. I've come to absolutely despise Ebay and Amazon's third party marketplace.

I wouldn't mind one bit if new GPUs were sold via Geforce Experience, Steam, or EGS in order to try get products to the people who will actually enjoy them.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Actually Nvidia could release Mining only cards with no I/O on the back and no gaming drivers ... and shut down gaming on it ... But I think that they dont want to gamble on it ...
You can game on so-called mining cards with modified drivers.

NVIDIA is also risking a PR kerfluffle because those GPUs could've been used in gaming cards, whether they're in the consumer or OEM space.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
ugh. i wish these ponzi scheme idiots would stop ruining things.

^This! Cryptocurrency is just a ponzi scheme.

The only way to make money off crypto is to make others suckers buy into crypto. So basically you convince other suckers that crypto is worth something to drive it's value up. Then you cash out and leave them holding monopoly money.