Question The GPU stops giving signal from time to time

Jan 14, 2022
Hi there, I have a zotac rtx 2070 and was working fine until last year when the problem started, now for the most part it works great, the only thing is that from time to time stops sending signal to the monitor.

To be more clear, when the gpu works, it doesn't crash.
The problem is that on a random day when you try to push the power button, everything starts as usual (including the gpu) but the monitor don't receive any signal from the gpu.

To fix it I have to open the pc, unplug the gpu and replug it back.
After this everything will work ok for a few days (maybe a week or so) and then the issue repeats.

I've check temperatures and everything is ok, all the stress test are ok too.
I also tried to change the cable multiple times and test the different ports (hdmi and DP) and when the problem happens it doesn't matter where you plug the cable the result is the same, no signal.

I don't know what would cause this kind of behavior, it's really strange.
Thank you in advance guys!

EDIT:
  • GPU: Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 AMP 8GB GDDR6
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz
  • RAM: Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
  • PSU: Netway Gaming Reactor 800 700W 85PLUS - 3/4 years

Main use is gaming pretty much, no editing and no mining.

The PC is clean, no dust.
Next time I open it I'll look for any damage, but I didn't see anything so far.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Next time you open the case:

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all other cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are also fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components, pinched or kinked wires, loose brackets, Inspect the I/O panel inside and out for debris, damage, loose connections.

Also check Reliability Monitor. There may be some error code or warning being captured that is related to the loss of signal.

Jan 14, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Next time you open the case:

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all other cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are also fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components, pinched or kinked wires, loose brackets, Inspect the I/O panel inside and out for debris, damage, loose connections.

Also check Reliability Monitor. There may be some error code or warning being captured that is related to the loss of signal.
Done, thank you

Ralston18

Titan
First thought/primary suspect:

"PSU: Netway Gaming Reactor 800 700W 85PLUS - 3/4 years"

With 3/4 actually having the meaning of the being being 3 to 4 years old. (History of heavy use for gaming?)

Not familiar with that product and a Google search did not result in what I would consider as supportive product reviews.

In Reliability Monitor/History (and you can also look in Event Viewer) check for varying errors and increasing numbers of errors over time.

Often a sign of a faltering failing PSU. Reliability Monitor presents a time line format that may make such a pattern readily apparent.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that can be swapped in for testing? Remember do not use or reuse PSU cables from other PSUs.

Just use the cables provided with or part of the test PSU.