The Graphics Card Dilemma

Valek_Hawke

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Okay, Once again I am asking for input and advice from everyone. I am trying to decide which graphics card to use, and as always am left trying to decide between the lesser of the evils. Some questions I have are:

1. Is the Asus V8200 GeForce3 Card compatible with the A7V Mobo?
2. The Card warns of high current draw and says it should only be used on Mobo's that do not use a linear regulator to supply the AGP slot...Couldn't find this spec anywhere on Asus' site or the Mobo Manual...
3. Have heard that Win2k is better for gaming than Win98...Okay, I'll buy that for a dollar...but I have also heard that it's not. WHICH Win2k specifically should be used...Professional or Advanced Server and what pitfalls should I be aware of and keep an eye out for when building this system?

This is the Planned Config when it all arrives:

Asus A7V
512 MB PNY PC133 SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda ATA100 30Gig HDD
Athlon 800Mzh OC to 1.0 ghz
Swiftech MC462 HSF
Creative Labs SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
Tiger Direct ATX Case with "AMD Approved" 300W PS

So In your opinions, which Video Card should I go with and Why? Is Win2k all that for Gaming? And what known pitfalls should I be aware of based on the current Hardware Confgig?

Thanks So Much

Val

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I'll only answer the part about win2k, since I'm not too familiar with the mobo in question.

I have been running a gaming system under win2k professional since about April of 2000. Early on, there were significant compatibility issues, both with software and hardware. All of the problems I had were addressed probably by July of 2000.

The only issue I can see someone having with win2k is poor support for really old dos games or really old hardware, I'm talking maybe pre 1995. On the other hand, I still like to play Master of Magic and Master of Orion, both circa 1991 about, and they run OK under Win2k.

People who use Win98 or WinME like to claim superior performance. I notice <b>no</b> difference in graphics performance. Network performance is far superior. Also note that I myself ran a Win98 system for about 2 years. In general, my conclusion would be Win2k offers parity performance but <b>far</b> superior stability.

I can't imagine any reason you would need Advanced Server, unless you are indeed running a server of some sort. If anyone else knows more about this, speak up.

As for pitfalls, I would say two things about your current set-up. First, the SB Live cards get kicked around a lot by forum veterans. There are some serious issues people have had with win2k and an SB Live card; I suggest you read through the sound card forum. Note: I myself ran an SBLive! Value card for about a year under Win2k; I never had any problems other than Creative's ridiculously bloated drivers. Now I run a Philips Seismic Edge; It is trash. Live and learn, I suppose. I would look at the Turtle Beach card or even the Hercules, if sound is important to you.

Second - your power supply is a bit 'iffy'. I suppose that if it comes with a specific case that you want, you have little choice, but keep some things in mind. First, Athlons are extremely power hungry. Second, GF3s are extremely power hungry. Third, "AMD Approved" really doesn't mean much. Fourth, an anemic power supply can lead to decreased performance and system stability. And finally, power supplies simply aren't that expensive - I got my 431 watt Enermax for around $80, which wasn't too much more than a stock 300 watt model.

In case anyone cares (honestly, why should they? :smile: ) here is my system

Lian-Li PC60 case
Enermax 431w PS
Ep0x 8k7a+ mobo
1.4 ghz T-Bird
512 meg DDR Kingston RAM
Gainward GF3
IBM Deskstar 60 GB
Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
HP 8110i CD burner (A true fossil! Still works well, though)
Philips Seismic Edge Sound card (I do <b>NOT</b> recommend this card under win2k, it's given me naught but trouble)

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I prefer win2k. When i loaded my new system i just put ME on my comp. About 2 days later i reloaded it and duall booted with win2k and ME i've had it running stabily in win2k for about a month with absolutely no lockups. I haven't used win ME once. If win ME is a higher performer it's only by about a tenth of a fps if that. I think win2k performs better. A game i just got (nascar 4) runs much better in win2k than in win ME. In win ME i run steadily 25fps :frown: and in win2k i run steadily 30fps. As soon as the new radeons come out that crappy TNT2m64 is outta my machine. Check out my machine if you want. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the mobo and video card.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
WinME is devilspawn : /

Win2k is fantastic, I love it.. and 98SE comes in close second. I feel like I actually got a performance improvement after switching to 2k, although it might have been that I was due to the fact that I was up for a regular OS reinstall anyway ^_^

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky