the ground rumbles

..

My Dark Elf Priest started with 2 spellbooks, one was Conjured
Devastation or something like that (Divine equivalent of improved
fireball). Anyway, I read the book several times (I was having trouble
learning it) and I get the "ground rumbles" message while reading it.

Never had that happen before. Any idea why I would get that message?

Heroic Adventure wrote:

> .
>
> .
>
> .
>

> My Dark Elf Priest started with 2 spellbooks, one was Conjured
> Devastation or something like that (Divine equivalent of improved
> fireball). Anyway, I read the book several times (I was having
trouble
> learning it) and I get the "ground rumbles" message while reading it.
>
> Never had that happen before. Any idea why I would get that message?

Reading failure. I forget exactly which sort; either it's one of the
innocuous message-only-nothing-nasty messages or it's the message that
appears when it tries to create a pit trap beneath you, but can't
(something else that can't coexist with a pit is already there).

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> Heroic Adventure wrote:

>>.
>>
>>.
>>
>>.
>>

>>My Dark Elf Priest started with 2 spellbooks, one was Conjured
>>Devastation or something like that (Divine equivalent of improved
>>fireball). Anyway, I read the book several times (I was having
>
> trouble
>
>>learning it) and I get the "ground rumbles" message while reading it.
>>
>>Never had that happen before. Any idea why I would get that message?
>

> Reading failure. I forget exactly which sort; either it's one of the
> innocuous message-only-nothing-nasty messages or it's the message that
> appears when it tries to create a pit trap beneath you, but can't
> (something else that can't coexist with a pit is already there).
>
> Erik

that would make sense. I was < 100 turns into the game so I was
surprised my deity would be irate already. of course Lolth can be
unpredictable. I don't think I was standing on anything, but then again
I consider myself unable to coexist with a pit too.

"Heroic Adventure" <spambucket@heroicadventure.com> wrote in message

> .
>
> .
>
> .
>

> My Dark Elf Priest started with 2 spellbooks, one was Conjured Devastation
> or something like that (Divine equivalent of improved fireball). Anyway, I
> read the book several times (I was having trouble learning it) and I get
> the "ground rumbles" message while reading it.
>
> Never had that happen before. Any idea why I would get that message?

Probably a Tract of some kind. According to the Guidebook, a Tract is a sort
of plea to the deity to remove small amounts of Corruption from the reader.
This apparently uses up piety.

Either you are using a Tract which is of a different alignment to yourself
or your standing with your own God is pretty low.