The hardest video game ever?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
So apparently the hardest game is this one called "Dark Souls", made by Japanese game studio From Software.

Apparently, it is simply impossible to avoid dying excessively and you should expect your character to die a horrible death any time with almost no places to save a game and no pause game. If you die, level resets and you will have to kill the monsters all over again. Simply crazy!! :pt1cable:

This game is not for casual gamer. You will never finish it. Only attempt it if you are the hardcorest of the hardcorest rpg gamer and love to take on a near impossible challenge.

About myself:

I recently took the position of community reporter and one of my duty is to encourage thoughtful discussion in the sub forums in the software section. This is my first news report in the section I am reporting to. I hope everyone will have a good time reading the original article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/is-dark-souls-the-hardest-videogame-ever/?mod=google_news_blog

as well as share your thought and experience on this game or other similar hard to beat game.

Let the discussion begin!

Umm, power-leveling can be the "key" to just about any RPG, particularly the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Demon's Souls, of course the challenge goes away if you're willing to while away hours on leveling.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Dark Soul's is the Sequel to Demon's Souls.

Follows the same premise, that game was challenging but not impossible.

GC++++++++++ in Demon's Souls got interesting. The game is a must play for any PS3 console owner who is looking for an excellent game.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I've been playing Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PS3 the past few days and am finding it pretty tough even on Rookie level! You just end up trying again and again and again!

Anyone else tried the game yet? It's quite a beauty though!

NoG00dNames1eft

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hell shooters anyone??
mushihimesama FUTARI
Kazio Mario
Midnight Club 2 the last levels
Blinx the time sweeper last levels
Ninja Gaiden the xbox version
battletoads on the snes cant remember which version
Touhou series on insane mode
^^^^ these are all the games i find retardedly hard

zaskar36

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Zelda Ocarina of time water puzzle...that puzzle made me throw the controller down in hatred and I never did finish that game.

FFVII end fight. I never finished it. I had watched one friend defeat the last boss and it was like going to the movies. Took him 45mins to beat. I just didn't have the patience for that.

If you took the time to do some side quests, you can hit the Northern Cave around level 75 and it's not so bad. If you take the power leveling route, once you pass level 85, it's pretty easy. If you hit the mid 90s, you can almost one-shot him.

PS, kudos on the Last Starfighter avatar!

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

The difficultly slider in Oblivion is a --expletive-- man.
It literally multiplies their hp and attacking ability xD
Especially if you have the elys unlock mod installed. That mod modifies the hard-coded caps and makes it so monsters (and npcs) can have stats and levels up to 200. With relevant bonuses.

Gah. Level 50 difficulty slider max. Elys mod activated. O.O ..I'm gonna try it in the ~console oO just to find out P:

Tales of Symphonia battle with the owner of the Nebilim, Abbysion.

That guy has around 1500-2000 attack at least on normal, and he gets more powerful with every attack that hits you; as the Nebilim absorbs the damage it does to enemies and adds to it's own power. (literally! some weird % or something) I could only beat him with an item that cuts all attack power in the battle by 50% (player and opponents), I used 3 of them! It took 32 minutes! And I got -10 grade for the battle. (died so many times, revive ftw)

When the main character wields the Nebilim after that battle all the dam it gave to you in the battle against you is added to it's power, so It easily does 1000+ dam even with it's 0 attack stat. har
I beat it again my next play through with only 2 of those items; and when I could wield the Nebilim it was double the power of last time xD

Abyssion is actually quite easy if you use Collette's Toss Hammer exploit. Hit him with Toss Hammer, and his HP will be drained away at an exponentially increasing rate. All you have to do is survive while his health drains.

i'm currently playing dark souls myself and while i can say that it is brutally unforgiving to people who rush or those that aren't paying atention AND the fact that it is harder than the previous title demon's souls it isn't even close to being the hardest game ever made.

the game might make you want to snap your controller in half or rage quit but in almost all cases of death outside a boss battle its your own fault for dying not the games difficulty. even boss battles are not terrible if you prepare for them and learn the attack sequences.

no, there are games out there that i personally found so rediculous that i had to stop playing completely. of the games i've played personally i would have to say ninja gaiden sigma was the hardest (i never got past the 2nd "zone")

Precisely, you never feel like the game is cheating, which unfortunately can be felt in so many other games.

just adding to the number of enemies or bulking up the stats of enemies so they completely overpower you isn't difficult, its frustrating. now, dark souls does have a few traps where you get swamped...but in general it is just the fact that the foes are a bit unpredictable that makes them so difficult.

how many times did the starter zombies leap on you or frenzy attack and get through your defenses? enough said!

it helps that you can heal yourself in ds, in ninja gaiden the healing was pathetic.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Oh yeah, I heard about that one, but I never could quite figure out what that exploit was. How to do it, the concept behind it etc. So I did it the normal way.

brothermist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
If MMO's count... Final Fantasy XI's 'Pandemonium Warden' before the nerf. One Linkshell (or guild) of 28 people fought it for 18hours straight before quitting due to stress and fatigue. Probably would have taken 20hrs to take down. And this was with all 28+ toons at the level cap, with a lot of the best available gear in the game at the time. God I miss that game. But it took 7years of my life, thats enough.

Yaras Zaletski

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

WTF are u talking about (sorry for the language)? The hardest difficulties in the GoW saga have always been the best. I felt immortal when playing on easier difficulties.

tashageoffroy

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Wazzuh! I love a good challenge, but that just sounds bladdy annoying? I basically have one simple rule when it comes to games I will play and that is - If I start aging at an un-natural pace and I notice hair recession where no girl should ever recede? Then I gotta stop, destroy game in question and move onto something like Kingdom Hearts just to chill. I'll probably also eat some ice-cream or something :)

check out my gaming blog www.videogame-tester.com it's all pretty an' all :D

cocoadragon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
For a Fantastic hard time? Try playing the original Phantasy Star Online episodes I & II on the 3rd and 4th difficulties with a HUNAWERL (the equivalent of a Red Mage?) ...well balanced for parties, useless solo/offline. Your stats are so slow to come becuase suddenly you need an EDGE and yet you're only average. Oh, and you can't EVEN HIT THE END BOSS on the 3rd difficulty til your level 75 but running through the game only gets you to LVL 50 Muah ha ha ha! PSO-2 has come out this year and i haven't even finished the first one after ten years! I think I got my $50 worth of entertainment.

jerodpaul

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Old old school Star Wars shadows of the empire on hard. I spent a lifetime on that game ;p like seriously the levels took forever and were like giant mazes and on hard the surprises made it nearly impossible.

TRENDING THREADS